Windows PC - Remote Desktop Connection
- Only approved VSU faculty and staff have access to a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC).
- You must have high-speed internet access.
- Your office computer must be powered on.
- You must have two-factor authenication setup; and use the MS Authenticator app.
Configure your personal Windows computer
STEP 1: Open RDC Program
Key Remote in the search bar at the bottom of the Start menu > Select Remote Desktop Connection from the Programs list.
STEP 2: Configure Log-on Settings
Click the arrow next to Show Options button located in the lower left corner.
On the General tab, enter the following:
- Computer: Your office computer VSU IT tag number (ex: IT99999). The tag# is affixed to the computer, and it was listed on the RDC request form you submitted.
- User name: Your VSU email address (ex: email@example.com)
- Click the Advanced tab.
Click the Settings button located at the bottom of the screen below the Connect from anywhere section.
Configure the connection with these settings:
- Check: Use these RD Gateway server settings
- Server name: Key rdgw.valdosta.edu
- Logon method: Select Ask for password (NTLM)
- Uncheck: Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses
- Check: Use my RD Gateway credentials for the remote computer
Click the OK button.
STEP 3: Save Settings
Click the General tab again > Click the Save As… button under the Connections Settings section.
Save the connection to your Desktop > Key a Filename (ex: VSU Desktop Connection)
Connect to your office computer
Double-click the connection icon that you saved on your Desktop
Click the Connect button within the RDC program.
Enter your VSU username and password to log in to your desktop computer. Note: Click the Yes button if you receive a dialog box stating that 'the identity of the remote computer cannot be verified due to a problem with the security certificate.'
Log Off (Break Connection)
On your PC office computer, click the Start Menu icon/Power icon and select Log off.
On your Mac office computer, click the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of the screen.
Click Logout to view dialog box > click Log Out.
Need more help? Contact VSU Solutions Center for setup assistance.
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
VSU Solutions Center
Eastern Standard Times
Mon-Thurs: 8 am - 7 pm
Friday: 8 am - 5 pm
Saturday: 9 am - 2 pm
Sunday: 9 am - 3 pm