Teaching at VSU
Experiment with new pedagogy no matter the class size or modality
CELT at 102 Georgia Avenue
Come here to learn from colleagues and for a comfortable work space
New Faculty Learning Community
Cohort support for faculty at a similar career stage
Welcome to the Center for Excellence in Learning & Teaching
The Center for Excellence in Learning & Teaching (CELT) supports faculty at Valdosta State University by providing professional development opportunities related to their roles as teachers, scholars, practitioners, and leaders throughout their career stages.
Here at CELT, faculty gather to share strategies for teaching face-to-face and online courses. At CELT, faculty discuss cutting-edge issues in higher education. At CELT, faculty learn leadership skills and renew their passion for the profession as they enter the next phase of their career. At CELT, faculty participate in scholarly writing groups and retreats, or have a comfortable space to work alone. Ultimately, faculty at CELT build relationships with colleagues in departments and colleges outside their own, especially when they are new faculty adjusting to the institution and region.
Professional development programs available to faculty include the following, or will be offered in the near future:
- Faculty learning communities and circles, whether they address the needs of a particular cohort of faculty, type of pedagogy, professional identity, writing practice, or topic in higher education
- Roundtables, retreats, and leadership institutes for department heads, post-tenure faculty, or any faculty who share career aspirations and face similar struggles
- Open Classroom Days for faculty to see first-hand how their colleagues teach, and other opportunities for peer observations of teaching that are separate from the formal promotion process
- A mentoring program that matches faculty who are in different departments and colleges
- One-on-one instructional consultations that target individual needs of teachers, or group consultations and workshops that address pedagogical and curricular needs of an academic program
- Funded CELT Scholars, faculty facilitators, and internal grants that advance the work of CELT and strategic initiatives of VSU
- A beautiful two-story historic building with multiple meeting rooms and gathering spaces for faculty to work together or on their own, and where they can socialize over coffee in the lounge or kitchen
- Campus-wide faculty development programs in partnership with offices at VSU that support faculty and students, including the Center for eLearning, Employee & Organizational Development in the Division of Human Resources, Academic Support Center, Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration, Honors College, among others.