Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to attend Blazer Beginnings Orientation?
- How do I register for orientation?
- What is a confirmation letter and where do I get it?
- Can I register for orientation now and pay the fee later at the door?
- Can Transfer students attend general sessions?
- What is covered with my orientation fee?
- Can I bring more than two guests?
- Do I have to stay for the entire orientation session?
- Where will I park for my orientation session?
- Will I have to pay tuition the day of orientation?
- Will I learn who my roommate will be at orientation?
- Will I get to register for classes at orientation?
- Can children attend orientation?
- Can my parents attend the academic advising session with me?
- What do I do if I or one of my guests need special accommodations for an orientation session?
- What if I need to change my orientation date?
- If I register and pay for guests but none attend, will I get my money back?
- Can I bring my pet to an orientation session?
- What should I bring to my orientation session?
Do I have to attend Blazer Beginnings Orientation?
Yes. It is required for all first-year students to attend. Academic advisors will be there to guide each student throught the advising and class registration process.
The orientation reservation system is located in your MyVSU account under the New Student Portal. Avalaible dates will be displayed for the term your are starting.
What is a confirmation letter and where do I get it?
Your confirmation letter will provide information about the orientation session that you are registered for. It has includes session date, times, the number of guests attending, meeting location, and payment verification. All confirmation letters will be sent to the student's email account on file.
Can transfer students attend general sessions?
Yes. Transfer students are welcome to attend general sessions. Transfer students will complete the required online session, meet with thier assigned academic advisor and register for classes prior to attending the fullday session. If you are a transfer student and prefer to attend an on campus session, please contact our office to reserve your campus session.
What is covered with my orientation fee?
Your fee covers the costs of the VSU orientation program. This includes the use of facilities, student and parent orientation publications and materials, morning coffee and juice and lunch at general sessions. Program supplies and resources are covered with the orientation fee. The fee also covers the salaries of our student staff to assist throughout the day.
Can I bring more than two guests?
No. Approximately 225 students attend each general orientation session. Each student is allowed two guests because that is the maximum capacity our facilities can support. We encourage everyone to follow this 2 guest policy to ensure that we can provide the best service to our future students and thier parents.
Where will I park for my orientation session?
The Oak Street Parking Deck, located at the corner of Brookwood and Oak Street. There is no charge or permit needed for your orientation date. An Orientation Leader will greet you as you park.
Will I have to pay tuition the day of orientation?
No. During the orientation session you will receive a payment schedule for tuition and fees as well as learn how to use our Online Student Account Center for payments.
Can children attend orientation?
Parents are encouraged to attend orientation, as it is an excellent opportunity for family members to learn about VSU and get questions answered. Families may not want to bring small children due to the format and length of the program. Any non-student will be charged a guest fee, and all students are limited to two guests.
Can my parents attend the academic advising session with me?
No. These sessions are designed to provide an opportunity for the student to develop an independent relationship with their academic advisor. While students are meeting with advisors and registering for classes, parents attend a session designed to address their questions and concerns. Academic information sessions are included throughout the day prior to class registration.
Who do I contact for special accommodations for myself or a guest attending an orientation session?
Contact the orientation office as soon as possible so we can make arrangements with our Access Office for Students with Disabilities or you can contact their office direct: 229-245-2498 / VP 229-375-5871. The University cannot provide wheelchairs or crutches.
What if I need to change my orientation date?
The on-line registration will not allow session changes. All changes will need to be communicated to our office for date and guest count changes and may take up to 24 hours for the change update. Changes are made on a first come, first serve basis until the session reaches maximum capacity.
What is your refund policy?
Our office requires a 30-day notice refund request prior to the session date you are registered to attend. The orientation office pre-orders meals in advance of a session based on the number of registered guests. Requests for a refund should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Two forms of identification for VSU student I. D. card (one must be a government issued photo)
- Walking shoes
- Light jacket for air conditioned buildings
- Umbrella (in case of rain)
- Optional: any forms that need to be submitted to the Admissions or Financial Aid departments