Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to attend Blazer Beginnings Orientation?
- How do I reserve an orientation date?
- What is a confirmation letter and where do I get it?
- How do I modify or change my session selection after I have already confirmed one?
- Can I register for orientation now and pay the fee later at the door?
- What does the orientation fee cover?
- Can I bring more than three guests?
- Am I required to stay for the entire orientation session?
- Where will I park for my orientation session?
- Will I have to pay tuition the day of orientation?
- When will I find out about my roommate?
- Will I register for classes at orientation?
- Can children attend orientation?
- Can my parents attend the academic advising session with me?
- Who do I contact for special accommodations for myself or a guest attending orientation?
- What is the refund policy?
- Can I bring my pet to an orientation session?
- What should I bring to my orientation session?
Do I have to attend Blazer Beginnings Orientation?
You, the student should attend. All new, incoming first-year students are expected to attend. The guest program is designed for parents/guardians. Sibling attendance is not recommended and younger children may tire and become bored with the process.
How do I reserve an orientation date?
Reserve your orientation spot by signing into Banner Registration, and then go to the New Student Portal tab. Available dates will be displayed for the term you are beginning coursework. Session availability is first-come, first served; each session is limited to two hundred students each.
What is a confirmation letter and where do I get it?
Your confirmation letter will provide information about the orientation session that you selected. It includes the session date, times, meeting location, and payment verification. All confirmation letters will be sent to your student email account.
How do I modify or change my session selection after I have already confirmed one?
To make modifications or changes to your orientation session, fill out and submit the change request form. Your change request will be reviewed promptly; however, a reply may take up to 3 business days. Modifications or changes to a session date must be requested and received no later than 7 business prior to the session date.
Can I register for orientation now and pay the fee later at the door?
Your session date is not confirmed until you have completed the session registration process. Your payment secures your seat for an orientation session.
What does the orientation fee cover?
Your fee covers the costs of the VSU orientation program. This includes the use of facilities, student and parent orientation publications and materials, morning coffee and juice and lunch on the one day sessions, and dinner and breakfast for the two day sessions. Program supplies and resources are covered with the orientation fee. The fee also covers the salaries of our student staff to assist throughout the day.
Can I bring more than three guests?
We kindly ask each student and their families adhere to our guest policy of 3 guest each. The guest limit is based on the actual capacity of the university facilities used at each session. We encourage everyone to follow this three guest policy to ensure that we can provide the best service to our future students and their parents. Each guest will be charged an attendance fee.
Will I have to pay tuition the day of orientation?
No. During the orientation session you will receive a payment schedule for tuition and fees as well as learn how to use our Student Online Account Center for payments. Invoices are not mailed, but eBills (electronic invoices) are posted online each semester in the Student Online Account Center, after registration.
Can children attend orientation?
Parents are encouraged to attend orientation, as it is an excellent opportunity for family members to learn about VSU and get questions answered. Families may not want to bring small children due to the format and length of the program. All guests will be charged a guest fee.
Can my parents attend the academic advising session with me?
No. These sessions are designed to provide an opportunity for the student to develop an independent relationship with their academic advisor. While students are meeting with advisors and registering for classes, parents attend a session designed to address their questions and concerns. Academic information sessions for parents and students are included throughout the day prior to class registration.
Who do I contact for special accommodations for myself or a guest attending an orientation session?
Contact the orientation office as soon as possible so we can make arrangements with our Access Office for Students with Disabilities or you can contact their office directly: 229-245-2498 / VP 229-375-5871. The University cannot provide wheelchairs or crutches.
What is your refund policy?
Our office requires a 30-day notice refund request prior to the session date you are registered to attend. The orientation office pre-orders meals in advance of a session based on the number of registered guests. Requests for a refund should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Two forms of identification for VSU student I. D. card (one must be a government issued photo)
- Walking shoes
- Light jacket for air conditioned buildings
- Umbrella (in case of rain)
- personal items if selected on campus overnight housing
- Optional: any forms that need to be submitted to the Admissions or Financial Aid departments