How to Become an OAT Major
Once you have been notified of your acceptance to Valdosta State University, then you are ready to be accepted as an Office Administration & Technology (OAT) Major. Please complete the following steps so that we can assign an OAT Academic Advisor to assist you with your program of study:
- Make sure you have a copy of your notice of acceptance to VSU (with your 870-number)
- Go to Online Resources to set up your passwords so that you can access email, Banner, etc.
- Complete the eCore Orientation Quiz (only if you still need to complete any courses in Core Areas A-E)
- Complete an Online Readiness Assessment (only if you have never successfully completed an online course)
- Submit the OAT New Student Checklist
YOUR PATH TO GRADUATION
Once an OAT Academic Advisor has been assigned to you, we will help guide you toward graduation. To earn a Bachelor of Science Degree with a major in Office Administration & Technology, you will need to:
- Meet USG core curriculum requirements in Areas A-E (or equivalent) including a "C" or better in ENGL 1102 (or equivalent)
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.3 (or 2.5 in all ACED coursework) to be allowed to enroll in the two capstone courses: ACED 4070 and 4160
- Successfully complete all Area F, Major, and Guided Elective courses (or exempt) with a grade of "C" or better
- EITHER (a) provide documentation for at least 3 years of valid, verifiable, work-related experiential learning OR (b) complete a one-semester (220-hour) internship during your final semester of the program
We understand that you may need to take courses to fulfill the Core and Area F requirements. You will be happy to know that ALL of those courses are available online with us through eCore or VSU Online as well as on campus. Forms for verifying work-related experiential learning are available from your OAT Academic Advisor.