The COEHS maintains a grievance process available to all students that provides for the discussion and resolution of concerns. Concerns should be resolved informally by speaking with the associated faculty or staff member in the department, center, or office most directly connected to the issue. The faculty/staff member may request additional documentation if necessary, or schedule an appointment to address that concern. If the issue is not resolved, the concern may then be directed, in writing, to the department head or director appropriate to the area of concern. If the concern has not been satisfactorily resolved, the student may continue the concern in writing to the college dean. Students desiring to file a grievance should refer to the Grievance Process on the COEHS webpage.

If, for any reason, a student does not feel comfortable contacting the associated faculty/staff member to discuss a concern, they may contact the person's supervisor (department head, director, or Dean) and request that their identity be kept confidential.

Students wishing to report concerns of harassment or discrimination should contact the Student Conduct Office/Dean of Students' Office (Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students) or the Office of Social Equity, as per University policy.

A confidential file of all formal written concerns and resolutions will be maintained in the Dean's office.


Complaints and Resolving Problems

Graduate education is intensive and can be stressful at times, and conflicts with faculty, peers, and others may occasionally happen. We expect you will make efforts to resolve interpersonal conflicts directly with the involved person. Often, an amicable resolution can be found. We strive for our students to receive fair and equitable treatment.

At times, the disposition of your issue or concern may not be satisfactory to you, and you may seek the advice of others. Your advisor, the CSD Department Head, the Coordinator of Professional Master’s Program, Coordinator of Clinical Doctorate, and the Coordinator of Clinical Services are all available to assist you. In addition, CSD has in place a Student Conflict Resolution Committee. The Committee’s primary role is to attempt to resolve a student’s conflict with a faculty or staff person. Any of the above individuals ( in a committee of three) are a part of this committee unless they are directly involved. 

If the conflict cannot be resolved by this means, it will be referred to VSU’s Conflict Resolution Program (ADR).


Conflict Resolution Program

Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR)

VSU participates in the University System of Georgia’s Consortium on Negotiation and Conflict Resolution. This means additional resources for students. Conflict can occur for many reasons such as lack of information, misinformation and misunderstanding, or differences in interests, personality, and ways of seeing things. At times conflict can be positive and its resolution can result in better ideas and ways of doing things. But unresolved conflict can grow into more serious disputes.

There are many avenues a student can take to obtain assistance with conflict. One resource is through the Conflict Resolution program. We provide mediation, conflict coaching and training on conflict resolution.

Whether your dispute is with another student, faculty member or staff member, we are here to help. If you are interested in exploring conflict coaching or mediation as an option of resolving a conflict, contact Dr. Martha Laughlin by email at, or by the phone at (229) 249-4961. For all other inquiries contact Rebecca Murphy,, (229) 259-5106 or visit our website. Inquiries are confidential.


Other Complaints Non-related to Faculty and Staff Disputes

Students may also contact The Council of Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) to file a complaint. The CAA is the accreditation body for graduate programs in audiology and speech-language pathology. Submit any complaint related to the program’s compliance with standards for accreditation to the CAA in writing, following guidelines provided here. Complaints should be addressed to:

Chair, Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology, American Speech Language-Hearing Association

2200 Research Boulevard #310

Rockville, Maryland 20850.