Bicycle Security and Safety
- FBI theft statistics prove that bicycle theft is on the rise.
- Many bikes are stolen easily because they are not locked at all.
- A registered (see BAT Program) and marked bicycle will improve your chances of it being recovered and returned.
- Most light-weight cables can be easily cut in a matter of seconds.
- Usually, a good quality U-Lock, installed properly, is your best bet.
- Two locks are better than one. Locking your bike to a bike rack will provide more security than a tree.
- Wear a helmet.
- Learn, use and obey traffic safety signals.
- Ride with traffic, not against it.
- If riding at dusk or at night, use reflectors and lighting systems. Be visible!
- Give pedestrians the right of way.
- Ride defensively. Watch out for cars and car doors opening in your path.
- Don't weave in and out of slow or stopped traffic.
- Keep your bike well maintained with regular check ups.
- When you are not using your bike, keep it locked.
- Take pictures of your bike and keep them with any paperwork you have for your bike. If your bike is stolen, the pictures will help in recovery.
- In any University building*.
- Against or fastened to any tree, plant, bush, or foliage.
- Against or fastened to any water, steam, gas pipe, or any electrical fixture, ornamental bench, trash can or emergency safety device.
- On any access/egress ramp or blocking an entrance or exit to any University building.
- In any area designated as Parking for Person with Disability.
- In any other area where bicycle parking is specifically prohibited
Bicycles parked in violation of these regulations will be impounded. It is lawful for the University to remove locking devices in order to impound a bicycle. The University is not responsible for damage done to locks during impoundment.
* If you live in a residence hall and will be away for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Spring Break, it is advised that you take your bicycle home or store it TEMPORARILY in your residence hall room.
- 1410 North Oak St. Valdosta, GA 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Emergency Line
- Phone: 229.259.5555
- Phone: 229.333.7816
- Anonymous Tip Line
- Phone: 229.219.3171
- Fax: 229.249.4863