Late Fee and Return Policy
Equipment Available for checkout:
The NMC has over 700 items available for circulation. Our goal is to serve our students, staff, and faculty media and general technology need through free loan services for those who abide by our loan policy. Those who have a general academic need can find a use for a laptop and laptop peripherals. Students, staff, and faculty may have more of a presentation focus where you can check out a rock blocker, extension cables, or an easel. We also cover the need for available A/V equipment for video production by our basic and intermediate users. A brief list of some of our available items in circulation can be found here: Equipment available for checkout.
All equipment checked out from the New Media Center has a return due date and time. Equipment returned after the due date and time is subject to late fees and possible holds on Banner records. Holds on your banner record will result in your inability to register for classes as well as request transcripts. Furthermore, students who have accumulated late fees or fines are subject to the loss of equipment checkout privileges. These privileges can be reinstated once the late fees and fines have been paid. Please read the information below to gain a comprehensive understanding of the New Media Center policy:
- 24 hour checkouts of all equipment: Equipment is due back on the next day exactly 24 hours after the initial checkout time.
- ID: A patron must have their own ID with them in order to check out equipment. Student ID is preferred, but a driver’s license is acceptable.
- Extensions: A signed form is required to extend an item until the end of the next open day. A new form must be signed for each subsequent day an extension is needed.
- Late fines: For each operational hour the equipment is late an additional charge will accrue per bulleted case below.
- Each digital item checked out accrues a $1 fine charge per hour
- Each traditional item accrues a $0.01 late fine per hour.
- Equipment Replacement:
- Lost or Stolen Equipment: If equipment is not returned 1 week after the due date it is considered lost. The initial purchase cost of the equipment will be added to the student’s Banner account. This fine will only be removed if the equipment is returned or the fine is paid. If the equipment is not reported as lost within a 3-week period then the equipment will be considered as stolen and legal action may be pursued.
- Damaged Equipment: There is a $50 minimum charge for any damaged equipment beyond normal wear and tear. If the equipment cannot be repaired then the charge will be based on the initial purchase cost of the damaged equipment instead.
- Banner holds: Holds will be placed on students who have unpaid fines past 2-weeks for equipment considered as lost or stolen. This can also be considered as equipment loaned that is 3-weeks overdue. Holds will also be placed for students who have unpaid damaged equipment fines past 3-weeks. These holds add a one-time $5 service charge to the original lost or damaged equipment fine.
- Check out fine limit: If a student has any late fines in Alma they are restricted from checking out equipment until the fine is paid.
Signed Agreement Form - PDF
Students will sign a document that acknowledges the late fine and equipment replacement policy that they are agreeing to when checking out equipment. This document will be placed on file as an acknowledgment of our policies. This form will be made available at the equipment checkout window. The form can be completed on the same day as your first attempt at checking out equipment for that semester. If changes are made to the policies at the NMC then a new form will be made available for signing at the equipment checkout window for completion prior to checkout.
Special Conditional Forms:
PA Authorization Form - Blazerlink
Students who wish to use this form should already have an event listed in BlazerLink under their organization. This form is to be filled out each and every time a student needs a PA for an event occurring on or off campus that is sponsored through your event organization. This form should be completed 1-2 business days prior to the event. Whoever completes this form will be responsible for arriving at the NMC to pick up the PA system. Call (229-333-5863) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) us if you have any questions. Note: Checkout of PA is based on the same checkout policy listed for fines and fees that may be accumulated for late, damaged or lost items. See our website at www.valdosta.edu/media for our Equipment Checkout Policies and Procedures.
edTPA Form - Blazerlink
Faculty teaching a class that requires student teachers to check out media equipment for the purpose of recording their student teaching for edTPA will need to complete this online form. We will keep the list sent to us on file for the semester the class is being taught. We will need a new roster sent to us each semester students will need the edTPA kits. A roster can be pulled from your BlazeVIEW course as a PDF file or can be sent to us as an excel file. If the form is not working properly for you, then please send us an email at email@example.com with the attached roster for your class you are teaching. Please note, at this time we have a limited supply of edTPA kits and can only supply this on a first come, first serve basis. If you would like your students to attend a workshop covering the process of editing their video to meet the edTPA standards, please complete this form here: Special Request Workshop Form.
One Day Extension Form - PDF
Students who need to extend their equipment item(s) loaned will need to have this form completed and returned with the equipment. A faculty or staff sponsor will need to sign off on this form to grant authorization for the students academic needs. This is only for a 1-day extension.
Paying Online: tinyurl.com/nmc-market
Video Instruction: Pay Fines and Fees Online Video Guide
Please note: Service Fee refers to the cost of the Banner Hold. A service fee will only need to be paid if a Banner Hold was placed on your Banner account. Follow the video guide above for further instructions.
Paying in Person:
Fines can be paid in person at the New Media Center. We take cash and check only. We will not accept starter checks.
Paying by mail:
Fines can be paid via mail.
Mail the check/ money order to the following address.
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Odum Library New Media Center
Policy & Procedure Changes:
The policy and procedures listed on this page can be changed as deemed necessary by the New Media Center staff. These changes will be updated here to reflect the most current version of our policy and procedures for equipment check out.
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Monday - Thursday, 8:00am - 5:30pm
Friday, 8:00am - 3:00pm
The Odum Library is a Federal Depository Library.