Thesis and Dissertation Information
Welcome to the Thesis and Dissertation Information page! The items below are offered to assist students beginning their research and completing theses or dissertations. Doctoral students should also consult their program handbooks for specific forms.
The thesis or dissertation represents the culmination of your academic program. It is a major achievement, reflecting your development as a professional in your chosen field. It provides you with an opportunity to demonstrate your intellectual capabilities through the production of an original piece of research. While you will have the assistance of many others in completing this project, including faculty and fellow graduate students, the finished thesis or dissertation reflects your work, your effort, and your intellectual development. You should exercise great care in preparing your thesis or dissertation in order to produce a study of which you and Valdosta State University can be proud!
FALL 2017 DEADLINE: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 17. Graduation: Dec 8
SPRING 2018 DEADLINE: FRIDAY, APRIL 13. Graduation: May 4
SUMMER 2018 DEADLINE: FRIDAY, JULY 6 No summer ceremony
All submission deadline times are 3:00 pm. Final drafts (already defended) of theses and dissertations are to be submitted to the Graduate School for review by each semester's published deadline, usually no less than 3 weeks before graduation of each semester. However, early submissions are encouraged. "Review" means the Graduate School will review theses and dissertations for formatting issues. The review process could extend beyond graduation. Students will then make corrections (if any) for the Graduate School (some formatting requirements will supersede specific style requirements). See the "Helpful Hints" link.
NEW SUBMISSION PROCEDURES effective Fall 2016!
- E-mail the final, defended version of the thesis or dissertation as a PDF to email@example.com by the published deadline. Only the document - please e-mail questions separately.
- Documents received after the published deadline will be considered late. Students will not graduate until the next term.
- Formatting must adhere to requirements set forth by the Graduate School.
- Include the one signed signature page in the PDF document (the page signed by all committee members in black or blue ink – do not date when signing).
- EDD, SLPD, & DPA STUDENTS must also submit their programs’ signed Final Approval of Dissertation forms. Forward the original form to the Graduate School.
- Include contact information (name, phone numbers, and VSU e-mail address).
- From this point, any edits will be made through VSU e-mail correspondence. Do not make further changes unless directed by the Reviewer to do so.
- The Graduate School’s review can take up to 3 to 4 weeks, possibly longer, depending on the number of theses and dissertations received any given semester and holidays. The goal will be to complete the review process as quickly as possible.
- AFTER the review, arrangements will be made to forward the signed signature page to the student.
- AFTER the review, submit the approved dissertation or thesis to ProQuest (printable guidelines).
- AFTER the review, students are required to submit to VSU’s online repository – V-text. Click on the following link to complete the online permission form and upload the approved thesis or dissertation. Go to:
Remember: Students no longer have to submit copies to be bound – this is now voluntary. If one chooses to order bound copies, students must:
- print/provide as many signature pages as copies to be bound for the graduate dean’s signature;
- complete the Library’s binding fee form and pay the binding fee ($12/copy);
- print copies of approved version to be bound;
- insert signed signature pages behind copyright page; and
- deliver to Odum Library (4th floor) - instructions are on the binding fee form.
The following guides, handbooks, and forms will provide further assistance, but students should work closely with their committee members to complete the process from beginning to end.
- Thesis Committee Appointment Form (PDF format) For masters and ed specialists students only. Note: Submit to the Graduate School at least 3 semesters before graduation!
- Doctoral students should submit the following forms
- Required submission after the review is complete: V-Text Form (online permission form for submitting electronic copy of thesis or dissertation in Word format to Odum Library Archives - at no charge!)
- Required submission to ProQuest (printable guidelines)
- Effective Summer 2016, the Graduate School no longer requires binding of approved theses or dissertations!
- Working in Word - Headers, Footers, Page Breaks Source: Information Technology
- Page Numbering in Word (a YouTube help video)
- IRB or IACUC Approval Information - Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
- DPA Forms and Handbook
- EDD - SLPD Doctoral Program Resources
- Consult advisor for program-specific requirements
- Develop tentative proposal
- Select committee - STOP! Committee members must have graduate faculty status - check the lists! (Graduate Faculty List)
- Submit Committee Appointment form (at least 3 semesters before graduating)
- Prepare a draft of proposal - obtain committee approval
- Obtain IRB or IACUC Approval/Exemption
- Begin research and writing (type 2 spaces after a period ending a sentence)
- Register for thesis or dissertation hours
- Apply for graduation (at least 2 semesters in advance)
- Schedule the Defense
- Defend the Thesis or Dissertation
- Make suggested edits from the committee (if any)
- Proofread final version
- Submit final version and the signed signature page to Graduate School by published semester deadlines
- Buy regalia (hood, cap/tam, gown) for graduation
- Complete edits for the Graduate School (if any)
- Celebrate with family and friends and graduate!!
- After the review process, make arrangements to retrieve signature page.
- Submit a copy of your thesis or dissertation in Word to the Archives by visiting V-text form web page
- Submit a copy to ProQuest (Printable Guidelines)
(Page order for a thesis or dissertation. Items with asterisks (*) are optional. )
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Signature Page
- Fair Use and Duplication Release Form
- Table of Contents
- List of Figures or Illustrations
- List of Tables
- Body of Text and Nontext Elements (type 2 spaces after a period ending a sentence)
- Endnotes/Footnotes/Text References
- Bibliography/Reference List
- Appendix/Appendices (if applicable)
Many forms are in PDF format. To update your PDF software click below:
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA. 31698
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 3 PM
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698