Thesis and Dissertation Information
Welcome to the Thesis and Dissertation Information page! The items below are offered to assist students beginning their research and completing theses or dissertations. Much of the information has been taken from the Thesis & Dissertation Guide which is being revised. Doctoral students should also consult their program handbooks for specific forms.
The thesis or dissertation represents the culmination of your academic program. It is a major achievement, reflecting your development as a professional in your chosen field. It provides you with an opportunity to demonstrate your intellectual capabilities through the production of an original piece of research. While you will have the assistance of many others in completing this project, including faculty and fellow graduate students, the finished thesis or dissertation reflects your work, your effort, and your intellectual development. You should exercise great care in preparing your thesis or dissertation in order to produce a study of which you and Valdosta State University can be proud!
Helpful Hints for Submitting a Thesis or Dissertation to the Graduate School Printable Hints (PDF) Under revision!
|Fall 2016 Deadline||Spring 2017 Deadline||Summer 2016 Deadline|
|3:00 pm Friday, Nov 18||3:00 pm Friday, April 14||3:00 pm Friday, July 15|
|Graduation: Dec 10||Graduation: May 6||No Summer Ceremony|
Final drafts (already defended) of theses and dissertations are to be submitted to the Graduate School for review no less than three weeks (summers may remain at two weeks) before graduation of each semester,but early submissions are encouraged. This means the Graduate School will review theses and dissertations for formatting issues. The review process could extend beyond graduation. Students will then make corrections (if any) for the Graduate School (some formatting requirements will supersede specific style requirements). See the "Helpful Hints" link.
The following guides, handbooks, and forms will provide further assistance, but students should work closely with their committee members to complete the process from beginning to end.
- Thesis Committee Appointment Form (PDF format) Note: Submit to the Graduate School at least 3 semesters before graduation! Doctoral students should submit committee forms as found in respective program handbooks (see below).
- Required submission after the review is complete: V-Text Form (online permission form for submitting electronic copy of thesis or dissertation in Word format to Odum Library Archives - at no charge!)
- Effective Summer 2016, the Graduate School no long requires binding of approved theses or dissertations! More information to follow!
- Working in Word - Headers, Footers, Page Breaks Source: Information Technology
- IRB or IACUC Approval Information - Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
- DPA Handbook (PDF format) Rev 2015 DPA Forms
- EDD Doctoral Program Resources (Includes links to committee appointment forms)
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SCHOLARLY CONDUCT and PLAGIARISM
Click here for details about items on the checklist Printable List (PDF) Under revision!
- Consult advisor for program-specific requirements
- Develop tentative proposal
- Consult with major professor/committee chair
- Consider committee options
- Conduct preliminary feasibility study
- Select committee - members must have graduate faculty status (Graduate Faculty List)
- Submit Appointment of Committee form (at least 3 semesters before graduating)
- Draft proposal
- Register for credit
- Begin research and writing
- Make changes suggested by committee
- Prepare defense draft
- Write abstract
- Receive approval for defense
- Schedule defense (recommended around mid-term - chairs should notify the Graduate School via e-mail or memo)
- Perform defense (chairs should notify Grad School of successful defense by e-mail or memo)
- Make changes from defense
- Prepare final version
- Proofread final version
- Obtain committee signatures on signature page (one page only)
- Doctoral Students: submit Final Approval of Dissertation forms.
- Submit final version and the signed signature page to Graduate School by assigned semester deadlines. After the review process, submit a copy of your thesis or dissertation in Word to the Archives by visiting V-text form web page.
- Celebrate with family and friends and graduate!
Click here for component (formatting) details, templates, and sample pages Printable List (PDF) Under revision!
Click here for info about the paper, margins, etc. Printable Info (PDF) Under revision!
(Page order for a thesis or dissertation. Items with asterisks (*) are optional. )
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Signature Page
- Fair Use and Duplication Release Form
- Table of Contents
- List of Figures or Illustrations
- List of Tables
- Body of Text and Nontext Elements
- Endnotes/Footnotes/Text References
- Bibliography/Reference List
- Appendix/Appendices (if applicable)
- *Autobiographical Statement
Many forms are in PDF format. To update your PDF software click below: