About College of Education & Human Services
The College of Education & Human Services shall define its purpose by maintaining a mission statement that meets the following criteria: relates to and supports the university’s stated mission; accurately describes the unit and its characteristics; is developed with input from students, faculty, and administrators; is approved by the Executive Committee and faculty members; and is considered for revision every three years. The mission statement is the foundation upon which the College of Education & Human Services goals are developed.
The Dewar College of Education & Human Services prepares professionals for multiple roles in educational settings and community agencies; fosters a culture of reflective, evidence-based practice and inquiry within a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff; provides leadership in the improvement of the education, health, and well-being of citizens in this region, the nation, and the world; and develops effective, responsive scholars and practitioners who use theory, research, and collaboration to enhance their work in a global, diverse, and technological society.
The College of Education & Human Services at Valdosta State University is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and is an American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE) award winning institution. We continually strive for excellence with each renewal of accreditation.
Accreditation by Program
- Communication Disorders- accredited by the Council of Academic Accreditation within the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Music Education- accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- Art Education- accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD)
- Marriage and Family Therapy- accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE)
- School Counseling- accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- Social Work- accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)