June 15, 2021: UPD Phones Down
VSU WILL NO LONGER HOST PERSONAL MYPAGES WEBSITES.
Although this complimentary web-hosting service has been offered for many years, it is now outdated and newer technology exists that allows us to implement a more deliberate, secure, and easier-to-use solution at a cost-savings and a reduction in liability to the University.
- The MyPages server will be decommissioned on June 30, 2021.
- No new accounts are being created.
- The University offers WordPress as an alternate web development solution for faculty, staff, and student organizations.
- Those impacted include all Valdosta State faculty, staff, and students.
- Cascade web pages will not be impacted.
How and when will the decommissioning of the MyPages server happen?
- Beginning now, MyPages accounts will not be created for newly hired employees or newly enrolled students.
- Current MyPages users will be able to access and make changes to their web content until May 15, 2021. Afterwards, sites will be in read-only mode and users will no longer be able to create, maintain, or publish to the MyPages server.
- The MyPages server will be terminally decommissioned by June 30, 2021.
- Individual student users wishing to create and publish personal web pages or blogs must independently seek alternative solutions (e.g., WordPress (not hosted by VSU), HostGator, GoDaddy, Squarespace, etc.). Disclaimer: VSU does not endorse nor support any third-party web creation or web hosting platforms. These are listed as examples only.
- Employees and official VSU student organizations seeking to create more purpose-driven web sites or blogs have the option to publish to VSU’s WordPress server as an alternative solution.
What support is available to those impacted?
WordPress: WordPress is a WYSIWG web editor offered to VSU employees and official student organizations who wish to create individual, purpose-driven blogs/websites. Training topics include: basic WordPress functionality and features, including how to use the Gutenberg content editor; limitations; and how to request a site.
WordPress Instructor-led Training are offered. When posted, you can register for these classes through Employee & Organizational Development Online Training Portal when available.
WHAT IS MYPAGES?
MyPages is a complimentary, personal web-hosting service provided by Valdosta State University to it's faculty, staff, and student members. MyPages is not a substitute for instructional content that is better suited for BlazeVIEW or departmental content that should be published on the University official website using Cascade. Content published by users must abide by the Information Resources Acceptable Use Policy.
HOW DO I UPLOAD AND VIEW CONTENT ON MYPAGES?
Connect to the MyPages server using your MyVSU username and password to upload or download files. If you need to reset your VSU password, use the Password Reset Tool.
Replace <username> with your actual VSU email username (do not include @valdosta.edu).
Replace the <file-folder-name> with the name of the file or folder you uploaded.
To upload or download files, we recommend and support the use of SSH File Transfer. This program can be found on campus computers, and you can download it onto your personal computer.
WHY DOES VSU RECOMMEND SSH SECURE SHELL?
While you can create web site content through a number of web publishing programs such as Microsoft Expression Web and Adobe Dreamweaver, we strongly recommend that you upload the files to your MyPages account using a program called SSH Secure Shell.
SSH Secure Shell is recommended for uploading files for the following reasons:
- SSH Secure Shell has been tested and verified to be compatible with MyPages.
- SSH Secure Shell is installed on PC computers throughout the campus.
- SSH Secure Shell can be downloaded and used on your home computer.
- SSH Secure Shell has advanced diagnostic features built in to help us assist you further if you encounter a technical issue while accessing your MyPages account.
CAN I ACCESS MYPAGES FROM OFF-CAMPUS AND ON A MAC?
Yes. You can access MyPages from both campus computers and while off-campus and on both a PC and a MAC. Steps for doing so are the same regardless of your location.
WHERE CAN I GET TRAINING FOR WEB SITE CONTENT CREATION?
The VSU Solutions Center offers support for accessing your MyPages account using SSH Secure Shell. However, we do not provide assistance with the creation of content to place within your MyPages account.
VSU faculty, staff, and students can access website creation tutorials via Infobase--a resource that provides video tutorials on numerous software programs such as Dreamweaver, HTML 5 & CSS3.
IS MYPAGES THE SAME AS FTP?
FTP (or File Transfer Protocol) is a method of transferring files from one computer to another. This is different from ftp.valdosta.edu, which is an older web server that we no longer support.
- Solutions Center
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
VSU Solutions Center
Eastern Standard Times
Mon-Thurs: 8 am - 7 pm
Friday: 8 am - 5 pm
Saturday: 9 am - 2 pm
Sunday: 9 am - 3 pm