Tuition Assistance Program
- TAP is an employee supplemental educational assistance program that fosters the professional growth and development of its eligible employees.
- USG Employees can attend any USG institution under the TAP program.
- An employee can take up to 9 credit hours per semester upon approval.
- The following fees, if applicable, are waived for TAP attendees: tuition, student late registration fee, student technology fee, student health insurance fee, student activity fee, student athletic/recreation fee and VSU online course fees. This includes all mandatory VSU student fees. Other fees and charges at VSU not waived include those required by the course or institution such as transcripts, graduation, exam/testing fees, and lab fees. Any remaining balance not covered by TAP must be paid by the fee payment deadline to avoid cancellation of course schedule.
- ALL scholarship and grant money awarded to TAP participants is applied to your balance before TAP is applied. TAP is a supplemental benefit and is there to help with costs that are encountered after other payment options are exhausted.
- The federal government currently allows up to $5,250 annually, in employer-provided educational assistance benefits, to be “tax free” to TAP participants. This applies to both undergraduate and graduate-level courses. An employee must generally pay taxes on employer-provided educational assistance benefits in excess of $5,250. This amount will be included in your wages (Box 1 of your Form W-2). A tax professional should be consulted for further information concerning taxable tuition.
- Must be employed as a full time benefits-eligible employee of the USG for at least (6) months prior to the TAP application deadline. Currently, TAP is available to Part-Time Nursing Faculty members seeking a graduate degree in Nursing.
- Have approval from your supervisor.
- Apply for admission to the teaching institution through the normal student admission process. If you have not been accepted as a student at the teaching institution or into your desired program prior to the TAP application deadline, you will still need to submit your TAP application by the application deadline. Notify the TAP Coordinator upon submitting your application that you are awaiting word on your admission acceptance.
- Complete a TAP application each semester and send to your home institution TAP Coordinator by the application deadline.
- Receive a grade of "C" or better in each class where a TAP waiver has been applied. Grades below "C" or "withdrawals" will result in TAP ineligibility for the following term. The grade must be a “C” or better at the time of processing and before the fee payment deadline. Those receiving an "incomplete" grade will be given one additional term to meet this requirement.
- Register during the designated TAP registration period provided by the teaching institution.
- If you go on leave at any point during the semester that you are utilizing TAP, then you must notify the TAP Coordinator so that they can determine if you are still eligible. Going on leave may make you ineligible for the TAP program.
TAP Application Deadlines
The following University System of Georgia TAP application deadlines will apply to all University System of Georgia institutions: (If any of these dates fall on a holiday or on a weekend, the application deadline will be the last business day prior to the dates identified.) Applications are accepted starting the 15th of the month before the deadlines for their respective semesters: June 15th, October 15th, and March 15th and are due by close of business. In order to ensure that your TAP application is processed in a timely manner, please submit your application as early as possible within the acceptance window in order to make sure that HR can process your application before the deadline.
|Semester||Applications Accepted Starting||Application Deadlines|
|Fall Semester||June 15th||July 15th|
|Spring Semester||October 15th||November 15th|
|Summer Semester||March 15th||April 15th|
Valdosta State University TAP Coordinator
Entrance 5, University Center
University Center Bldg III
1205 N. Patterson Valdosta, GA 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- M-TH 8am - 5:30pm and Friday 8am-3pm. Email and/phone calls responded to within 24hrs. Thank you for your patience.