Video Capture for D2L Streaming
VSU adheres to the copyright policy set by the University System of Georgia and TEACH guidelines. You may request the Odum Library New Media Center to capture your video clips from a DVD or VHS tape for access behind a BlazeVIEW D2L course shell. All copyrighted videos to be available in D2L must follow the criterion below:
- The video will be used to illustrate a concept in a Valdosta State University classroom
- Valdosta State University or VSU faculty own an Original Copy (Master Copy) of this video
- The website on which the video will be streamed has restricted access (i.e. password access, BlazeVIEW D2L user authentication, etc.)
- The video will be removed as soon as its instructional purpose is full-filled. Note: The amount of time given to the viewing of copyrighted material, which would include audio and video, within a secured online course must be comparable to that found in a traditional classroom – this is usually one class session. It is therefore recommended that the presentation of copyrighted material be pre-stated in the course syllabus allowing students time to arrange their schedules.
- The amount of the video used will adhere to the reasonable and limited requirement of the TEACH Act.
- This video will not be copied, recorded, downloaded, or indexed for searching.
- Fill out the request form for streaming media upload - make sure to include the class course number and upload date.
- Send off a letter to the copyright owner seeking permission if using the entire clip for a motion picture or audiovisual work. This is a model letter that you can fill out and mail off to the copyright owner. If using only 10% or 3 minutes of a motion picture or 30 seconds of an audio file then you won't need to complete this step.
- Bring both the completed request form and the model letter you have received back from the Copyright owner granting you permission, along with the requested video on VHS or DVD to the New Media Center.
- An NMC staff will complete a project slip for you while on site and choose A/V capture
- Once the video has been uploaded to Kaltura by the NMC then the CELT department will be involved in further assisting with granting access into your BlazeVIEW D2L course.
- The VHS tape or DVD will be available for pickup at the NMC.
All streaming request should be made 2 weeks before students are required to view them.
The New Media Center follows the guidelines set forth in the TEACH ACT.
For other video resources please check out Odum Library's Movies & Music page.
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Mon. - Thur.: 8am-7pm
The Odum Library is a Federal Depository Library.