In order to register for classes, all Valdosta State University students must submit proof that they have been immunized (vaccinated) against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Valdosta State University requires all students to complete a Certification of Immunization and Medical History Form.

This form serves as the primary medical record for the students at the VSU Student Health Center. The Student Health Center is located on the VSU main campus next to the Center for International Programs.

Although the Health Center is equipped to handle most medical problems, "major" illnesses and surgical treatment usually require the student to be taken to South Georgia Medical Center, located only a few blocks from the VSU campus. This care must be paid for by the student (although the student health insurance plan will normally reimburse the student for the major portion of the payment).

VSU tuition includes a small health fee. For this fee, students receive care at the Student Health Center. Their staff members can provide most of the care a student will need. There is no additional charge for most medications dispensed by the Student Health Center. Please take time to complete the medical form carefully. The doctors and nurses at the Center need to know your medical history so that they can care for your property.

Please note that the state of Georgia requires all students (international and U.S. students) to have certain immunizations (vaccinations) before they can begin their studies. The state requires immunizations for measles, mumps, and rubella because these illnesses are present in the United States. We want to make sure that you do not require any of these illnesses while you are a student at VSU. We want to make sure that you will enjoy good health while you are in the U.S. Even if these immunizations are not routinely given in your country, you must have them before you come to the U.S. so that your health will be properly protected. You should ask your doctor to give you these immunizations before you come to VSU.

On the medical form, you should write out the month (MM), date( DD)and year (YY) that you received the immunizations. Please be sure to document the following immunizations on the Student Health Center page.

In the U.S. immunizations are given in one vaccine called the MMR. MMR stands for measles, mumps, and rubella. On the form, you may show that you have had two doses of the MMR vaccine or you can receive each immunization separately. You should speak with your doctor to determine what types of immunizations are available in your country.