We offer a variety of training sessions to help you effectively use the technologies available at VSU. Classes are free to VSU employees, including student employees; and are held at Pine Hall Lab 107 unless stated otherwise.
Fall 2015 Workshops:
1. Cascade Basic (Web Editor): This training introduces features such as creating/editing pages, hyperlinks, images, and more through the university’s online web editor. The Basic class is mandatory for those who will be editing their departmental web site.
Fri, Aug 7, 8:30a-11:30a | Wed, Sept 9, 8:30a-11:30a | Thurs, Sept 10, 8:30a-11:30a | Fri, Oct 2, 8:30a-11:30a |
Thurs, Nov 5, 1:30p-4:30p | Wed, Dec 2, 1:30p-4:30p
2. Excel 2013 Intro: This class is designed for those with little to no experience with Excel. Participants will learn how to create, edit, format worksheets, and calculate basic formulas.
Wed, Sept 16, 9:30a-11:30
3. Excel Formulas Intro: Excel formulas can be used for simple additions or subtractions, as well as more complex calculations. This class will focus on basic formula structure, commonly used formulas, relative and absolute cell references, and few other tips. A basic understanding of Excel is required.
Fri, Sept 18, 9:30a-11:30a
4. Jabber (IM): Jabber is an Instant Messenger application that allows you to chat with co-workers and integrates many VoIP phone features such as voicemail, call history, and directory. This workshop focuses solely on Jabber; not hands-on VoIP telephone training.
Fri, Aug 21, 1p-2p
5. Office Mix: This PowerPoint add-in allows you to make your presentations more engaging by incorporating interactive elements such as quizzes, and apps; as well as voice, video, ink, and screen recording. Learn how easy it is to take your PowerPoint to the next level.
Fri, Aug 21, 8:30a-10a
6. OneDrive Intro: All VSU faculty, staff, and students have access to Microsoft OneDrive--a password-protected cloud storage solution. Learn how to access, manage, store and share documents via OneDrive.
Wed, Aug 26, 10a-11:30a or 3p-4:30p
7. Outlook 2013 Tips: This class is designed to help you get the most out of Outlook by demonstrating useful tips such as calendar sharing, scheduling, contacts management, automatic replies, polling, and more.
Tues, Sept 1, 9:30a-11:30a
8. Word 2013 - Mail Merge: Learn to use mail merge to create a single document (letters, labels, emails, etc) that is sent to many people yet some of the content is unique. For example, send the same letter to multiple students and personalize each letter to address each student by name. This class will teach you the steps to perform a mail merge, and how to create envelopes and labels not using mail merge.
Mon, Sept 28, 9a-10:30a ↑
9. WordPress Intro: Not intended to replace MyPages for personal sites, WordPress is an alternate solution for faculty, staff, departments and student organizations who wish to create a blog. This training will cover how to request a site, basic WordPress functionality and features, and limitations.
Wed, Oct 7, 9a-11a or 2:30p-4:30p | Thurs, Nov 12, 2p-4p
10. The Open Open Lab: One-on-One assistance that is open to all VSU employees and student/graduate assistants; and open to almost any VSU licensed technology-related topic such as Cascade, Word, Outlook, Excel, etc. Participants must sign-up for a dedicated appointment time in one-hour increments on a first-scheduled-first-served basis. Topic must be stated when registering in order to determine level of assistance.
Limited Appointments: Wed, Oct 28, 9a-Noon and 2p-5p↑
11. Smart Classroom: Need help using the technologies in our Smart classrooms--enabling projector privacy, hooking up your laptop or iPad, turning on the document camera and more?
View the online Smart Classroom Training.
12. VoIP Phone: Designed to help you become familiar with the features of the new Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone, this hands-on workshop will demonstrate tasks such as transferring calls and call forwarding; as well as introduce you to the instant messenger application called Jabber that integrates many of the phone features such as voicemail, conference chats/calls, and call history.
Training offered by request ↑
13. Axis TV - Digital Signage: Anyone who is new to digital signage and the Axis TV system. If you need to know how to create messages, templates, design layouts and upload media (image, video, audio) to your display, this is the course for you.
Friday, Sept 4, 9-10:30a ***Odum Library 3270
14. Phishing Awareness: Come learn what the term “phishing” means and ways you can identify it in emails, websites and even phone calls. You’ll also learn how to protect your personal information and computer files from malicious intentions. This will be a very informative presentation by IT Information Security.
Thursday, Sept 17 | 1p-2:30p | Tuesday, September 22 | 10a-11:20a