Thesis and Dissertation Information
Welcome to the Thesis and Dissertation Information page! The items below are offered to assist students beginning their research and completing theses or dissertations. Much of the information has been taken from the Thesis & Dissertation Guide which is being revised. Doctoral students should also consult their program handbooks for specific forms.
The thesis or dissertation represents the culmination of your academic program. It is a major achievement, reflecting your development as a professional in your chosen field. It provides you with an opportunity to demonstrate your intellectual capabilities through the production of an original piece of research. While you will have the assistance of many others in completing this project, including faculty and fellow graduate students, the finished thesis or dissertation reflects your work, your effort, and your intellectual development. You should exercise great care in preparing your thesis or dissertation in order to produce a study of which you and Valdosta State University can be proud!
|Summer 2015 Deadline||Fall 2015 Deadline||Spring 2016 Deadline|
|3:00 pm Friday, July 17||3:00 pm Friday, November 20||3:00 pm Friday, April 15|
|No Summer Ceremony||Graduation: December 11 @ 8 pm||Graduation: May 6 @ 8 pm|
Final drafts (already defended) of theses and dissertations are to be submitted to the Graduate School for review no less than two weeks before graduation of each semester,but early submissions are encouraged. This means the Graduate School will review theses and dissertations for formatting issues. The review process could extend beyond graduation. Students will then make corrections (if any) for the Graduate School (some formatting requirements will supersede specific style requirements). See the "Helpful Hints" link. Do not print final version front/back...one-sided only.
The following guides, handbooks, and forms will provide further assistance, but students should work closely with their committee members to complete the process from beginning to end.
- Thesis Committee Appointment Form (PDF format) Note: Submit to the Graduate School at least 3 semesters before graduation! Doctoral students should submit committee forms as found in respective program handbooks (see below).
- Library Binding Fee Form (PDF format) This form must accompany copies to be bound to Odum Library. NEW!! Students can now pay this fee ONLINE through VSU's online Marketplace - visit https://secure.touchnet.com/C20243_ustores/web/store_cat.jsp?CATID=30&STOREID=64&SINGLESTORE=true. Be sure to send a copy of the online receipt to the Graduate School, and submit the completed form (minus the bursary's mark) with copies to be bound to the library but attach a copy of the online receipt.
- V-Text Form (online permission form for submitting electronic copy of thesis or dissertation in Word format to Odum Library Archives - at no charge!)
- IRB or IACUC Approval Information - Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
- DPA Handbook (PDF format) Rev 2015 DPA Forms
- EDD Doctoral Program Resources (Includes links to committee appointment forms)
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SCHOLARLY CONDUCT and PLAGIARISM
- Consult advisor for program-specific requirements
- Develop tentative proposal
- Consult with major professor/committee chair
- Consider committee options
- Conduct preliminary feasibility study
- Select committee - members must have graduate faculty status (Graduate Faculty List)
- Submit Appointment of Committee form (at least 3 semesters before graduating)
- Draft proposal
- Register for credit
- Begin research and writing
- Make changes suggested by committee
- Prepare defense draft
- Write abstract
- Receive approval for defense
- Schedule defense (recommended around mid-term - chairs should notify the Graduate School via e-mail or memo)
- Perform defense (chairs should notify Grad School of successful defense by e-mail or memo)
- Make changes from defense
- Prepare final version
- Proofread final version
- Obtain committee signatures on signature pages
- Pay binding fees
- Doctoral Students: Submit final version to respective college deans for their review--Dean Richards (DPA) or Dean Gerber (COE). EDD & DPA students should also submit Final Approval of Dissertation forms.
- Submit final version and all signed signature pages, plus a copy of fee receipt to Graduate School by assigned semester deadlines. After the review process, submit final paper copies to be bound with the Binding Fee form to the Acquisitions Office in Odum Library AND submit a copy of your thesis or dissertation in Word to the Archives by visiting V-text form web page;
- Celebrate with family and friends and graduate!
(Page order for a thesis or dissertation. Items with asterisks (*) are optional. )
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Signature Page
- Fair Use and Duplication Release Form
- Table of Contents
- List of Figures or Illustrations
- List of Tables
- Body of Text and Nontext Elements
- Endnotes/Footnotes/Text References
- Bibliography/Reference List
- Appendix/Appendices (if applicable)
- *Autobiographical Statement
Many forms are in PDF format. To update your PDF software click below: