Application Guidelines - Merit Scholarship
1. Completion of at least 18 credits toward the MLIS degree prior to the date of application. The 18 credits must be completed at the time of application.
a. At least 9 of the 18 credits must be in the MLIS program’s core courses.
b. All 18 credits must be taken at Valdosta State University.
2. GPA of a 3.5 or higher.
3. No course grade lower than a 3.0 (B).
B. Submitting an Application
1. MLIS candidates meeting eligibility standards 1 through 3 may apply for the MLIS Merit Scholarship in either the Fall or Spring semester.
2. Deadline for Spring award(s) applications: December 1. Deadline for Summer-Fall award(s) applications: February 12.
3. Write a cover letter that includes a brief profile of your career goals and your progress toward those goals so far. Your academic advisor needs to review the letter.
4. Complete the MLIS Program of Study form. Your Program of Study form must include a list of the courses you have completed as well as those you are planning to take, grades for all the courses you have completed, and you and your academic advisor’s signatures. The blank Program of Study form is located on the MLIS Academic Advising webpage under Program of Study Forms: https://www.valdosta.edu/colleges/education/master-of-library-and-information-science/student-resources/advising.php
5. Have your application letter and signed Program of Study form ready and fill out the MLIS Award/Scholarship Online Application Form.
1. The MLIS Awards and Scholarship Committee will review the applications.
2. One set of applicants will be reviewed in the Fall semester; those awards will be applied to the following Spring semester. A second set of applicants will be reviewed in the Spring semester; those awards may be specified by the recipients to apply to the Summer or Fall semesters.
3. Each scholarship recipient will receive an award letter prior to the beginning of the semester in which the scholarship will be applied.
Each semester, awards will be applied to the students’ tuition prior to the fee payment deadline. Fees will be the responsibility of the student.