Application Guidelines - Merit Scholarship
1. Completion of at least 18 credits toward the MLIS degree prior to the date of application. The 18 credits must be completed at the time of application.
a. At least 9 of the 18 credits must be in the MLIS program’s core courses.
b. All 18 credits must be taken at Valdosta State University.
2. GPA of a 3.5 or higher.
3. No course grade lower than a 3.0 (B).
B. Submitting an Application
1. MLIS candidates meeting eligibility standards 1 through 4 may apply for the MLIS Merit Scholarship in either the Fall or Spring semester.
2. Write a cover letter that includes a brief profile of your career goals and your progress toward those goals so far. It must also include your student identification number (870-xxx-xxx) and your VSU email address.
3. Complete a Program of Study form with your MLIS Program advisor. Your Program of Study form must include a list of the courses you have completed as well as those you are planning to take, grades for all courses you have completed (at least six to meet the criteria for this scholarship application). The blank Program of Study form is located on the MLIS Academic Advising webpage under Program of Study Form: http://www.valdosta.edu/colleges/education/master-of-library-and-information-science/student-resources/advising.php
4. After review of your Program of Study, your advisor will forward the completed package to the MLIS Department Head.
5. Deadline for Spring award(s) applications: December 1.
Deadline for Summer-Fall award(s) applications: February 12.
1. The MLIS Awards and Scholarship Committee will review the applications.
2. One set of applicants will be reviewed in the Fall semester; those awards will be applied to the following Spring semester. A second set of applicants will be reviewed in the Spring semester; those awards may be specified by the recipients to apply to the Summer or Fall semesters.
3. Each scholarship recipient will receive an award letter prior to the beginning of the semester in which the scholarship will be applied.
D. Procedures for Disbursement
Each semester, awards will be applied to the students’ tuition prior to the fee payment deadline. Fees will be the responsibility of the student.
SUBMIT your cover letter to:
Your MLIS advisor - email preferred.
Fax: 229-259-5055 (To the attention of your advisor).
If you elect to use mail use the following address:
Department of Library and Information Studies
Valdosta State University
1500 North Patterson Street
Valdosta GA 31698
ATTN: "Your Advisor"