Application Guidelines - George Gaumond Award
An award bearing the name of George Gaumond, University Librarian at Valdosta State University (1989-2010) and founder of VSU’s Master of Library and Information Science program, will be given each year at the Dewar College of Education and Human Services annual awards ceremony to a current MLIS student who has demonstrated exemplary scholarship and service.
A. Nomination Process
1. Nominations of candidates to be considered for the award will be accepted from current students, alumni, and faculty. Self-nominations are permitted.
2. Nominations close on February 12th.
3. Requirements for nomination include a justification or rationale for that nomination from the nominating party, a letter of recommendation from an MLIS faculty member, and the nominee’s resume.
Forward these documents to the chair of the MLIS Awards and Scholarships Committee:
Email preferred - firstname.lastname@example.org
Header should say: Attention MLIS Awards and Scholarships.
Fax: 229-259-5055 (To the attention of Dr. Xaioai Ren).
Cover sheet should say: Attention MLIS Awards and Scholarships.
If you prefer to mail an application, use the following address:
Department of Library and Information Studies
MLIS Awards and Scholarships
Odum Library, Suite 4600
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698-0133
4. The nominations are forwarded to the George Gaumond Award Committee, a sub-committee of the MLIS Awards and Scholarship Committee, and are reduced to a group of candidates not to exceed three finalists.
5. The finalists’ names are forwarded to the full MLIS faculty who will select the award recipient.
B. Selection Criteria
1. Completion of 27 credits (nine graduate level courses) or more toward the MLIS degree. The 27 credits must be completed at the time of application or nomination.
2. Evidence of exemplary scholarship which may include but is not limited to:
a. 3.8 GPA or higher.
b. Publications, book or media reviews, editorships.
c. Presentations or participation on discussion panels.
3. Contribution to the profession through service which may include but is not limited to:
a. Activities in professional or LIS student organizations beyond membership.
b. Membership(s) on professional boards or other governance bodies.
c. Volunteer activities related to libraries or librarianship.
C. Award Acceptance
The George Gaumond Award honoree will be recognized and receive a plaque at the Dewar College of Education and Human Services annual awards ceremony. Plaques will be mailed to those awardees who are not able to attend in person.
Dept. of Library and Information Studies
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.5966
- Fax: 229.259.5055