An audition is required for admission to the Dance program.
Incoming Students, Face To Face Auditions
We plan to return to face to face auditions for prospective students. On campus auditions will be Saturday, February 26, 2022. Stay tuned for our full 2021-2022 audition tour schedule and more detail.
Video Submission, Ongoing 2021-2022
At this time, we are accepting video audition submissions from all students, regardless of proximity to the University. Applicants may find all information at https://app.getacceptd.com/valdostastate
We will hold auditions for current and transfer students who are currently enrolled and who have not yet auditioned for the Dance Program on Tuesday, August 17, 2021 at 6pm. Location: Sawyer Theatre (1st floor Fine Arts Building). Please submit the following form for audition consideration and updates on auditions.
In addition to admission auditions, we will hold auditions for upcoming Fall 2021 performances and productions at the same time. The format will be an instructor led, multi-genre dance class. Please dress to move and with any shoes you require.
Admission Audition Results
We will notify all students of the results by email. This will usually happen within one month of the audition submission. Those applying for scholarships will also receive notification of their scholarship status by email. In addition, you may expect to be notified with one of these possible decisions:
- Accepted: You may begin course work as a dance major.
- Not Accepted: An indication that we feel you will not be successful in our dance curriculum at this time. After matriculating at VSU feel free to participate in dance courses in preparation to audition for admission to the degree program at a later date.
Students who are interested in Dance Scholarships must audition. Renewal of a scholarship requires an audition. Students wishing to be considered for a scholarship must present a short solo in the genre of their choice. They must also fill out a scholarship application form, send in two letters of reference, a photo and resume. Returning students and current scholarship students must re-apply each year. Returning student auditions are held in April each year.
All scholarships for the 2021-2022 academic year have been awarded.
Production Auditions (Current Students)
- Auditions for Fall Dances: Identities - open to all VSU students. Auditionees must fill out the following form. All students will audition on August 17, 2021 at 6pm in Sawyer Theatre (Fine Arts Building 1st Floor). Fall Dances: Identies Audition Form (must be logged into your VSU Outlook account in order to fill out this form). Audition format: Live instructor-led class in a variety of genres (ballet, contemporary, jazz). There will be opportunities to showcase special skills (tap, improv, pointe, etc.) on an individual basis at the end of the audition class. Please arrive early to warm yourself up (5:30-6pm). Your form must be complete prior to signing in and receiving a number.
- Auditions for Sleeping Beauty Ballet Fundraiser - open to all VSU students. August 22, 2021 1-4pm at the Valdosta School of Ballet.
- Auditions for the Spring 2022 musical, 9 to 5 - open to all VSU students. Students interested in auditioning for the spring musical must be prepared to sing and dance for consideration for all roles. Students interested in principle roles or ensemble roles will audition on Monday, October 25, 2021 during our general "cattle call" auditions. Students should prepare one monologue (for principle roles only) and a thirty-two bar cut from musical theatre repertoire. The presentation of the monologue and the musical selection should not exceed two minutes. An accompanist will be provided. Singing a Cappella or to taped accompaniment is not allowed. Sheet music must be provided for the accompanist. A dance call will occur on Tuesday, October 26th (required of all auditionees). Callbacks will occur October 27th & 28th.