Verification of Lawful Presence

The Board of Regents of University System of Georgia (USG) has recently instituted new policies that affect all applicants who seek in-state tuition at USG institutions. According to USG policy, individuals who apply for Fall 2011 and beyond must submit documentation of US citizenship or permanent residency before being considered for in-state tuition. *The following documents serve as proof of lawful presence in the United States. One of the following is required before you are eligible for in-state tuition:

  • Your completed FAFSA for the most recently available financial aid year. Lawful presence can be determined through this process. The Valdosta State University school code for the FAFSA is 001599.
  • A certified US birth certificate showing the applicant was born in the US or a US territory. Photocopies are not acceptable.
  • Copy of a current US passport.
  • Copy of a current driver’s license issued by the state of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
    • Please note that if the GA Driver’s License is “limited term”, it cannot be used to satisfy the VLP requirement.
  • Copy of a US certificate of naturalization.
  • Copy of a US certificate of citizenship.
  • A US certificate of birth abroad issued by the Department of State or a consular report of birth abroad.
  • A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551).
  • Current ID issued by the State of Georgia
  • Current Military ID (service member only, not dependent)

Any applicant whose status cannot be verified is not eligible for in-state tuition regardless of how long he or she has lived in Georgia. To avoid paying out-of-state tuition (if you believe you qualify for the in-state rate), please submit one of the above documents if you have not submitted FAFSA as soon as possible. Once we receive that documentation, your application will be evaluated for in-state tuition. Please Note:  If you have been classified as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes verification of lawful presence in the United States will not change your status as an out-of-state student without further proof that you are a resident of Georgia for tuition purposes.

Documents (except the certified birth certificate) may be faxed to 229-333-5482 or emailed as a scanned document (pdf,jpg,etc) to You may also mail the documents to the address to the left