Freshmen Admission Requirements
Announcement as of March 18, 2022 for Fall 2022 Applicants:
- Undergraduate Applicants for Fall 2022 Term
- High school grade point average (GPA) of 3.2 or higher, the SAT/ACT is not required.
- High school GPA of less than 3.2, the SAT/ACT is required, as listed below in the ACT/SAT Requirements section.
- Undergraduate Applicants for All Other Terms
- SAT/ACT requirement is required, regardless of GPA.
Please note, the GPA is calculated by the Office of Admissions at Valdosta State University. For more information on this, please refer to the press release: https://www.valdosta.edu/about/news/releases/2022/03/vsu-eliminates-sat,-act-score-requirement-for-select-incoming-freshmen.php. You may also contact the Office of Admisisons (email@example.com) or 229.333.5791.
Valdosta State University accepts applications on a rolling admissions basis. Upon receipt of all required documents, the student is most often notified of an admissions decision within 7-10 business days.
Here is a link to our application.
1) ACT/SAT Requirements:
17 Math subscore
17 English or Reading subscore
480 Evidence-Based Reading & Writing
440 Math Score
2) Grade Point Average:
Valdosta State University utilizes a formula known as "Freshman Index" to determine an acceptable grade point average (GPA). The Freshman Index (FI) requirement is 2040. It is calculated in the formula listed below. Please note, only courses from the "Required High School Curriculum" are used for the High School GPA.
- FI = 500 x (HSGPA) + (ACT Composite x 42) + 88
- FI = 500 x (HSGPA) + SAT Verbal/Critical Reading + SAT Math
3) Required High School Curriculum:
- Students must meet required high school curriculum requirements which will be determined upon evaluation of their high school transcript.
- Students graduating from a Georgia high school must meet the "Required High School Curriculum" set forth by the Board of Regents. More information on acceptable courses for the curriculum can be found online at the "Staying on Course" document.
Here are Georgia's State Graduation Standards:
|Courses||# of Courses Required|
|Social Science||3 (American History, World History, Economics or Government)|
*If a student is not graduating from a Georgia high school, we will review the courses based on the state's graduation standard to determine if the student can be admitted.
- Required by the Board of Regents to prove lawful presence in the US only for in-state tuition.
- Please note that if the GA Driver's License is "limited term", it cannot be used to satisfy the VLP requirement.