Zell Miller Scholarship
Zell Miller is a merit based scholarship program available to students who have met the University System of Georgia and the GSFC residency requirements and are enrolled in an undergraduate degree seeking program.
The Zell Miller Scholarship was created in March of 2011 for Georgia’s highest performing students. To learn more about the requirements for the Zell Miller Scholarship, please visit GAfutures.org. Students are determined initially to be eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship by the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC). Students can check their status for the Zell Miller Scholarship, by checking their HOPE GPA. Students will only be awarded the Zell Miller Scholarship after VSU receives confirmation of their status from GSFC.
How to Apply
To apply for the Zell Miller Scholarship, students must complete the FAFSA or GSFAPPS.
To be eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must complete an application - FAFSA or GSFAPPS.
- Meet U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizen requirements.
- Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the college.
- Not be in default or owe a refund due on a student financial aid program.
- Be in compliance with the Georgia Drug-Free Postsecondary Education Act of 1990.
- Must be confirmed as a Zell Miller Scholar by GSFC (requirements include a 3.7 HOPE GPA from high school along with a 1200 on the math and reading portions of the SAT or a 26 composite score on the ACT test in a single test administration).
- If a student is not designated as a Zell Miller Scholar by GSFC at the time of high school graduation, they cannot gain the Zell Miller Scholarship at a later time.
- Must have at least a 3.30 HOPE GPA, which includes all college level coursework attempted since high school and from any institution attended.
- Must have attempted less than 127 hours.
- Must not have reached your expiration of eligibility date.
- Must not have earned an baccalaureate (four-year) degree, regardless of whether or not HOPE or Zell Miller funds were received while earning the degree.
Zell Miller GPA Reviews
All students must maintain a 3.30 HOPE GPA at their 30, 60 and 90 attempted hours checkpoint and at the end of every Spring semester.
Award amounts are determined annually by the Georgia Student Finance Commission. To view the current award amounts, please visit GSFC's website.
View the Zell Miller Rules and Regulations
Retroactive Payment for Home School Students
The request for retroactive payment for home school students must be made before the last day of the term following the term in which 30 semester hours were attempted. Students must complete an application with Georgia Student Finance Commission before their eligibility can be considered. To access the application, please visit GAfutures.org.
Recent Changes to the Zell Miller Program
There are provisions in the new law creating the Zell Miller Scholarship, which is designed to pay the amount of tuition that the HOPE Scholarship does not. To be eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship, student must have a 3.7 High School GPA and 1200 SAT Sore or ACT Composite Score of 26. These students are also required to maintain a 3.3 GPA to keep the Zell Miller Scholarship. Current students, who started college after July 2007, are eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship if they met the requirements as freshmen and have maintained a 3.3 college GPA. Additional information is expected soon from the Georgia Student Finance Commission regarding the Zell Miller Scholarship.
Entrance #6 & #7
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.5935
Monday-Thursday: 8 am - 5:30 pm
Friday: 8 am - 3 pm