Teacher Loan Forgiveness
The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application and the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Forbearance form may be used by:
Teachers who started their qualified teaching service before October 30, 2004:
These teachers may receive up to $5,000 in loan forgiveness for service:
- a full-time elementary school teacher who demonstrates knowledge and teaching skills in reading, writing, mathematics, and other areas of the elementary school curriculum;
- a full-time secondary school teacher teaching in a subject area that is relevant to their academic major.
Teachers who started their qualified teaching service on or after October 30, 2004:
These teachers may receive up to $5,000 in loan forgiveness for service as a highly qualified:
- full-time elementary or secondary school teacher, as defined in the application;
These teachers may receive up to $17,500 in loan forgiveness for service as a highly qualified:
- full-time mathematics or science teacher in an eligible secondary school, as defined in the application;
- or for service as a highly qualified special education teacher, as defined in the application.
Certain teachers who previously received teacher loan forgiveness under the previous provisions of the law.
These teachers may receive loan forgiveness up to the difference between $17,500 and the amount that had previously been forgiven, only if the borrower:
- is otherwise eligible and
- has five complete consecutive years of qualified teaching service that met the definition of
- a highly qualified full-time mathematics teacher in an eligible secondary school, or
- a highly-qualified full-time science teacher in an eligible secondary school, or
- a highly-qualified special education teacher.
Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application (in PDF format)
The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Forbearance form reflects the requirements pertaining to granting forbearance to an eligible borrower who will be performing qualified teaching service and whose loan forgiveness benefit, up to $5,000 or up to $17,500, as applicable, will not satisfy the anticipated outstanding balance at the end of the borrower's fifth year of qualifying teaching service.
Entrance #6 & #7
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.5935
Monday-Thursday: 8 am - 5:30 pm
Friday: 8 am - 3 pm