First Year Senator Program
First Year Senators are a vital part of the Student Government Association. A First Year Senator is any student who is beginning their first year at VSU or current students with less than 30 credit hours. First Year Senators will be given hands-on experience in leading and advocating on behalf of their class and the student body. The main difference between First Year Senators and upperclassmen is the increased time and service commitment for their first semester in the Senate. The extra time commitment will include the orientation and training process.
Potential first Year Senators will fill out an application and submit a resume. Each First Year Senator candidate will then schedule an interview with representatives from the Executive Cabinet. After interviews are done selections are made, new First Year Senators will begin their orientation and training. Applications will open at the beginning of the Fall 2021 Semester. Please check back at a later date for specific dates and times.
Qualities of a First Year Senator
- Leaders with some previous experience
- Advocates with commitment to others
- Civically engaged citizens
- Individuals with integrity
- Mid-August: Email goes out with FYS/Vacant information and applications released
- Mid to Late: August: Applications due
- Late August/ Early September: Interviews start
- Early September: Selections made/emails go out/ save the date for senate retreat
- Mid-September: Senate Retreat