How to Rehire a Staff or Temp Position
This guide assumes there is a position that is currently vacant or will soon be vacant with no changes in the Job Description or pay. If position duties or pay are changing, use the guide How to Reclassify a Staff or Temp Position.
To rehire you will need:
- The amount of Annual Leave Payout paid to the prior incumbent
- An approved Budget Amendment to fund payout
- A copy of the current organizational chart
If you have any questions about the above items, please contact HR (x5709) or Budget Services (x5710).
Preparing the Position for Posting
- Sign into PeopleAdmin and switch to Position Management. Human Resources has a guide on the basics of navigating PeopleAdmin and modifying positions.
- Select the position to be rehired from your list of positions, and begin a “modify” action.
- Fill out any applicable fields and attach documents as needed. Please review all fields in the job description to make sure that they are still accurate. Budget Amendments are required if there is Annual Leave Payout for the prior incumbent. Contact HR (x5709) if you have any questions about Annual Leave Payout. HR requires the current organizational chart be attached to all positions.
- After the fields are filled out and any applicable documents are attached, move the position to Human Resources Initial Review. From there, it will follow the workflow until approved or denied. If the position is approved, you will receive a notification – this is when the position is now ready to post.
Posting an Approved Position
- Sign into PeopleAdmin and switch to Applicant Tracking. Human Resources has a guide on the basics of navigating PeopleAdmin and posting positions.
- Begin a new posting by clicking on the “Create New Staff/Temp Posting” link on the right of the page. Click on “Create from Position Description” and select the position that was approved above. Fill out any fields.
- After the fields are filled and any applicable documents are attached, move the position to Human Resources Initial Review. From there, it will follow the workflow until final approval. After final approval, the position will be posted and able to accept applications.
Starting a Hiring Proposal
- After applications have been received and applicants have been reviewed and interviewed, the hiring proposal is the final step in the rehire process. Sign into PeopleAdmin and switch to Applicant Tracking.
- Select the posting to be hired. On the “Applicants” tab, select the individual to be hired and click on “Start Hiring Proposal.” At this point, PeopleAdmin will prompt you to select the position in which the applicant will be hired.
- Select the position where you wish to hire the applicant, fill out any applicable fields in the next few pages, and move the position to Budget Review. From there, it will follow the workflow until approved. After final approval, the position has been rehired - you may now discuss final details such as the first day of work. HR will contact the candidate to provide an employment package regarding their benefits, IT needs, etc.