Day 1 is a textbook savings program designed to ensure student have their required materials the first day of class as a highly competitive rate. Day 1 provides the required digital course materials when instructors are using interactive courseware platforms or digital books instead of printed textbooks. This allows us to reduce the student cost in comparison to traditional printed textbooks.
Why Day 1
The cost of printed textbooks has increased tremendously over the last few years. As new textbook sales decline, used and rental textbooks (which are often the more affordable options), are becoming harder to obtain. As a result, students are sacrificing academic success by not purchasing course materials at all.
Day 1 allows the Bookstore to negotiate pricing with publishers to get students great discounts. Also, since the books are digital, they can be delivered to students on or before the first day of class.
- Instructors choose the course content they would like to use.
- The Bookstore works with the publisher to negotiate the lowest price available in the marketplace.
- Students will access their Day 1 course material directly through BlazeView. Student signs into their BlazeView account to access their courses. All Day courses are conveniently located in one link. Student selects their Day 1 Course.
- On the first day of class, access is granted to all enrolled students
- The charge is automatically added to the student account in Banner, once the student registers for the participating class.
- Should a student opt-out, they will need to do so by the drop/add deadline and will be responsible for obtaining their materials separately.
- Students will ALWAYS pay less than the cost of the traditional printed materials sold in the Bookstore. The savings can add up to 50%, sometimes more.
- Students are able to choose if they want to use Day 1. With Day 1, students can try it before they buy it! Students have until the end of drop/add period to use the materials. During this time, they can choose to opt-out and not be billed for the materials (thus losing their access).
- Students save time and frustration. No waiting in line at the bookstore. No waiting for materials to come in the mail. Course materials are automatically available digitally on the first day of class. *
- Students are more successful in these types of courses due to being prepared on the first day and increased interaction with course content.
*If ordering course materials online, you will not add a Day 1 item to your shopping cart. Your course materials will be provided without charge through Add/Drop period. If you are still enrolled in the course and have not chosen to opt-out of Day 1, your Student Account will be charged.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much does Day One Access cost?
A. The cost varies depending upon the platform and content used by the instructor, but Day 1 materials are less expensive than purchasing directly from the publisher or the bookstore, and up to 50%, sometimes more, less than a new, printed text.
Q. When/how do I pay for the Day 1 Access charge?
A. The charges are automatically applied to your Student Account when you register for the class. Students must make payment to the Bursar’s Office by fee payment deadline. If you have Student Financial Aid funds still available, the Bursar’s Office may automatically apply them against the Day 1 charge.
Q. What does “opt-out” mean?
A. To “opt-out” means you do not want to participate in Day 1. It means you do not want the automatic access to your course materials and do not want the bookstore to charge you for those materials after the Drop/Add deadline. Opting out indicates you are choosing to obtain access to the required course materials through some other means. If you already have the required course materials, or want to purchase them elsewhere, you will need to opt-out by the last day of Add/Drop. Once you opt-out, you will no longer be able to access the materials through Day 1.
Q. How do I opt-out?
1. Students will see this popup when they click to opt out.
2. Students must select their reason for opting out, which will provide more insight into why students opt out.
3. Students will continue to have access to their Day 1 materials up until the Opt Out deadline and can opt back in.
4. Students will be able to continue their access after the opt-out deadline by purchasing at the nationally available price.
Q. I changed my mind. Can I opt back in?
A. Yes, but you only have until the end of the day, on the last day of Add/Drop to opt back in. Once that time has passed, you will need to acquire the materials on your own.
Q. What if I drop the course?
A. If you dropped the course during Add/Drop, you will automatically be opted out and will not be charged for the Day 1 course materials. Students that drop after the Add/Drop deadline will be charged for the cost of the Day 1 Access materials.
Q. Who should I contact if I’m having trouble accessing the materials?
A. You can go into the VSU Bookstore and speak with the staff or call 229-333-5666. You may also contact the technical support team of the publisher that provided your particular Day 1 materials. You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you find the correct answer.
Q. I don’t see my question here; who should I contact to ask?A. Please email email@example.com.