iii. Health (Medical) Insurance Requirements
All international students are required by federal law to have health insurance for the duration of their studies in the US.
International students that have an F and J visa status have the option of enrolling in the Student Health Insurance Plan through VSU provided by United Healthcare, or enroll in the alternative plan for J visa holders only starting in Spring 2015: PGH Global.
- Students sponsored by a third party (ex. Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission) and are already provided health insurance coverage, must provide proof of the insurance plan, with benefits meeting at least the minimum benefits required by the University System of Georgia (USG) for all international students at the start of the Fall and Spring semesters.
- All students that choose to get another health insurance plan other than United Health Care must remember to waive their enrollment in the VSU Student Health Insurance Plan every August and January. Students sponsored by the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission need to remember to waive their participation in the United Healthcare insurance plan by January and August of each year.
- All students that choose to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan provided by United Healthcare through VSU must remember to enroll their benefits during the enrollment period. Students can get an electronic copy of their insurance cards or request physical cards to be mailed to them through the United Health Care Student Resource Center.
- Go to the UHCSR Student Center webpage.
- Scroll down, and click on "Enrollment Form"
- Enter your date of birth in the format: mm/dd/yyyy, and enter your 9-digit VSU ID#
- Click "Continue"
- Fill out your mailing address in Valdosta.
- If you live on campus, this will be your VSU Box #____, 1500 N Patterson St, Valdosta, GA 31698.
- If you live off campus, please check your lease or utility agreement for your mailing address.
- Check the box for the term under "Coverage Description: Hard Waiver"
- Check the box next to the statement "I elect to purchase insurance coverage under this student insurance plan. Above are the choices I have made.*" Then type your full name in the "Payer Signature Box," and click submit. It should not ask you for your credit card information, as the insurance premium will already be added to your tuition fees.
- First Time Users: Go to the United Health SHIP page, and click on the link to "Create an Account". You will be asked to provide your VSU e-mail address, and your School Assigned ID (VSU ID #). If your account is found, you will be asked to setup a new password. Once you're done, you can go back to the main page, and click "Login to My Account."
- Once you have logged in, you will be asked to certify that you have no other insurance. Choose "Certify No Other Insurance," and click on "Continue."
- Returning Users should go ahead and click on "Login to My Account."
On the menu on the left side of the screen, click on “ID Card Information” and you will have the choice to “Request a Permanent Card” or “View/Print ID Card”. If you choose “Request a Permanent Card,” make sure that your local mailing address is correct before clicking “Submit.”
Make sure you have a medical/health insurance plan that meets the minimum requirements listed inside this brochure. Have your health/medical insurance card ready, and go to the UHCSR Student Center webpage.
- Scroll down, and click on "Waiver Form."
- Enter your date of birth in the format: mm/dd/yyyy, and enter your 9-digit VSU ID#. Click "Continue."
- Answer the questions asked regarding your insurance plan, and provide your health insurance provider's information in the boxes below.
204 Georgia Ave
Valdosta, GA 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
The Center for International Programs is currently operating remotely. While we are not physically on campus, our work continues in a modified format and our goal is to respond within 24 hours.
Monday- Thursday 8:00 am- 5:30 pm
Friday 8:00 am - 3:00 pm