Post Award Operating Procedure
Note: All grant applications, proposals, and or contracts are required to be processed through OSPRA and properly reviewed and approved by VSU’s academic and administrative units.
Contact Information:Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration (OSPRA)
Elizabeth (Ann) W. Olphie
Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration (OSPRA)
Compliance Officer/Post Award (PA)
Linda LackeyOffice Hours: Tuesday - Thursday: 8 AM - 5:30 PM(229) 249-2614
email@example.com* Turn-around time for requisition and expenditure approval – 3 business days
Award Set Up:
- Principal Investigators (PIs) submit ALL award documents to OSPRA/Post Award (PA). Documents are reviewed for compliance with OMB, EDGAR, and VSU guidelines. OSPRA/PA will forward award documents to the authorized signature official for approval. Once approved, OSPRA/PA prepares and submits the Proposal Administration Routing Sheet (PARS) to the Restricted Funds Accountant (RFA) to establish/set up a grant account. The PARS is required to be signed off on by the PI, CO-PI, Department Head and Dean.
- Once the RFA receives the signed PARS, the PI is required to meet with the RFA and OSPRA/PA to discuss the specifics and requirements of the award.
- OSPRA/PA will create a PI Orientation document which contains: budget, PI responsibilities, management guidelines, and financial guidelines. Any required changes are documented on the PI Orientation document. All attendees of the PI Orientation meeting signs and dates each copy of the PI Orientation document.
- After the PI Orientation meeting, the RFA assigns a new grant account and enters all information pertaining to the award into the VSU PeopleSoft Financial Accounting system. RFA will notify the PI, CO-PIs, Deans, Department Heads, and OSPRA/PA of the grant account chart string.
- Once the set up of the grant account is complete and the PI receives the Budget Progress Report, it is the PI’s responsibility to verify the budget and other award information correctly reflects the terms of the award. If errors are found, it is the PI’s responsibility to contact the RFA.
- OSPRA/PA will communicate on a monthly basis with the PIs to keep them apprised of the project’s financial timeline and development, and to assist them in the administration of their award.
- OSPRA/PA will act as a liaison between PIs and Financial Services.
- PIs will forward all expenditures to the Dean and/or Department Head for approval before sending on to OSPRA/PA.
- OSPRA/PA will review and approve all grant expenditures before being forward to Financial Services to be posted for payment.
- OSPRA/PA will review the Budget Progress Reports on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy and compliance with sponsor, OMB, EDGAR, and VSU guidelines.
- PIs are responsible for reconciling on a monthly basis their project Budget Progress Report. Reconciliation includes review of all expenditures to assure transactions are in keeping with performance standards of the grant/contract and all program expenditures are following sponsor, OMB, EDGAR, and VSU policies and guidelines. PIs are responsible for ensuring all expenditures are posted to the budget accurately/correctly and that all expenditures are allowable to the purpose of the project.
- OSPRA/PA reviews all grants/contracts Budget Progress Reports on a monthly basis to ensure accurate posting of expenditures and review budget line balances. OSPRA/PA will communicate with PIs if there are any concerns. Example: if the timeline of expenditures does not match the timeline/progress of the project.
- PI is responsible for monitoring encumbrances on a monthly basis, ensuring the procurement obligations for the grant/contract are accurate and PO(s) are closed in a timely manner.
- OSPRA/PA will monitor encumbrances on a monthly basis, to ensure the procurement obligations for the grant/contract are accurate and Purchase Order (PO) are closed in a timely manner.
- Deans and/or Department Heads will ensure the PI has approved all expenditures within the program budget in accordance with sponsor, OMB, EDGAR, and VSU guidelines. Deans and/or Department Heads will ensure all expenditures are properly documented in accordance with sponsor, OMB, EDGAR, and VSU guidelines.
- OSPRA/PA will ensure the program operates in accordance with sponsor, OMB, EDGAR, and VSU guidelines. If needed, OSPRA/PA will assist in preparing budget adjustments/amendments, documentation for expenditures, travel expense reports, procurement process, etc.
- PIs will advise OSPRA/PA of any changes to key personnel, budget, or changes to the scope of the grant program and or contract.
- PIs, Deans, and Department Heads will submit all notifications of changes to the grant program and/or contract to the sponsor will go through OSPRA/PA.
- PIs are responsible for preparing interim and final technical reports and PIs are required to submit these reports to OSPRA/PA for submission to the sponsor. PIs are not to submit any reports to the sponsor. The RFA will submit all Financial reports to the sponsor.
- RFA will report Cost Share time and expenses on invoices. RFA will report Cost Share time to OSPRA/PA for Effort Reporting purposes.
- RFA and OSPRA/PA will assist PIs in creating intercampus reimbursements and/or payment requests.
- PIs (in conjunction with Deans and Department Heads) will ensure sub-receipts are in compliance with sponsor, OMB, EDGAR, and VSU policies and regulations.
- RFA and OSPRA/PA will ensure sub-receipts reports are sent/filed with sponsor and are in compliance with OMB, EDGAR, and VSU policies and regulations.
- PIs will forward all letters of credit to RFA. RFA will complete all letters of credit.
- RFA will complete all drawdowns and invoicing during the period of the grant.
- OSPRA/PA will ensure all Time and Effort forms are certified by grant personnel.
- PIs will notify OSPRA/PA to file with sponsor for a No Cost Extension (within 90 days before end date of grant).
- RFA will forward Time and Effort payroll reports to OSPRA/PA at the end of each semester.
- PA will prepare Time and Effort Certifications (including Cost Share) for submission to PI and grant personnel for both signatures. Ensuring each certification verifies that salaries charged to grants/contracts correspond to actual salary in payroll.
- OSPRA/PA will maintain Time and Effort Certification documents.
- PIs will sign off/certify Time and Effort on their grant personnel.
- OSPRA/PA will follow up with Time and Effort Certifications until ALL certs are returned. Once all certs are returned, a pdf will be created and forwarded to RFA.
- RFA will notify PIs, OSPRA/PA, Deans, and Department Heads 90 days prior to the expiration date of the award.
- RFA will coordinate with OSPRA/PA and PIs in the management of the overall award closeout.
- RFA will submit the final financial and OSPRA/PA will submit the technical reports to the sponsor. RFA will notify PA and PIs when the award has been posted “inactive” in PeopleSoft.
- OSPRA/PA will provide training to the Deans, Department Heads, PIs and staff on the principles and on how to property complete the Time and Effort Certification form.
- OSPRA/PA will provide training in the processes/procedures of Post Award management.
- OSPRA will assess the Post Award practices and implement improvements where/when needed.
- OSPRA will monitor all federal regulations to ensure compliance is up to date on all practices.
- OSPRA will communicate to all concerned parties any internal and external changes in stakeholders procedures and/or policies.
Sponsored Programs and Research Administration
(formerly Psychology Building)
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA. 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- OSPRA Main (Calls will be returned within 24 hours)
- Phone: 229.249.2614
- Fax: 229.245.3853
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 3 PM