Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program?

High school students in the 11th & 12th grades attending a public or private high school in Georgia or home study program can participate in the Dual Enrollment Program.

High school students in the 10th grade attending a public or private high school in Georgia or home study program must meet Zell Miller testing requirements (minimum SAT scores of 1200 or minimum ACT score of 26 either in a single national test administration). Students that were in the 9th grade during the 2019-2020 school year and participated in Dual Enrollment, may enroll as 10th graders in any approved DE courses.

High school students in the 9th grade are not eligible to participate in the Dual Enrollment program.

What do students have to do to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program?

To participate in the Dual Enrollment Program, students must first meet with their high school counselor or home study program counselor.  All students must meet VSU admission requirements and continue to make satisfactory academic progress.  Interested students should see their high school counselor and visit for program information and the Dual Enrollment application.

The Dual Enrollment application is required each term the student plans to participate in the dual enrollment program and would like to receive funding from Dual Enrollment. The Dual Enrollment application requires the dual enrollment courses to be listed and approved by the high school/home study program and Valdosta State. The courses must be from the Dual Enrollment Approved Course Directory located on To see which of these courses Valdosta State offers, click here.

What is the cost? 

Students can earn college credit at no cost for tuition, mandatory fees, or books. Some minimal fees may apply for specific courses; i.e. labs, art supplies, etc. For more information on cost, click here.

Where are classes taught?

Depending on your high school or home school organization, classes may be taught on Valdosta State University's campus or at the high school. Please contact the VSU Dual Enrollment Program coordinator for specific arrangements.

Once we have met with our counselor and completed the above GSFC application, what are the next steps?

After the initial meeting with the high school counselor, please fill out the online VSU Dual Enrollment Program application.  There is no application fee associated with this VSU form. Test scores, either SAT or ACT, will be needed in order to determine eligibility. These may be sent from College Board to VSU. Once eligibility is determined and all high school paperwork has been completed, you will make an appointment to meet with the Dual Enrollment Coordinator at VSU. At this time, you will be instructed with any additional items that may be needed to complete your application process: ie. official HS transcripts, immunization records, etc.

What will happen at my initial meeting with the VSU Dual Enrollment Coordinator? 

At this meeting, you will be advised for the semester using your HS transcript and counselor recommendations in order to create a plan of dual enrollment opportunities. These courses will need to be carefully planned in advance in order to complete course work that not only is transferable, but will lead to a major that you desire.

Is there a residence requirement to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program?

There is no residence or citizenship requirement to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program.

A student must be enrolled at an eligible participating high school located in Georgia or home study program operated pursuant to Code Section 20-2-690 located in Georgia, and meet the Dual Enrollment admissions requirements to enroll at Valdosta State University.

Do Dual Enrollment students have to live on campus?

No. Please note that on campus housing is NOT available for Dual Enrolled or jointly enrolled students.

During which terms can Dual Enrollment students take courses?

Students may participate in the Dual Enrollment Program for all terms.

  • Fall, spring and summer semesters
  • Fall, winter, spring and summer quarters