Student Evaluation Policy ● Instructor Guide ● Sample SOI Syllabus Statement ● Survey Administration Windows ● Live Training Schedule ● Prerecorded Training ● Department Recognition ● Questions
The main goal of student evaluations is to help faculty improve courses and instruction; moreover, student evaluations are used in the annual evaluation of faculty. Therefore, faculty will administer student evaluations for each course they teach during the fall and spring semesters, and the summer sessions. All student evaluations must include both quantitative and qualitative sections and be completed by the last teaching day of the semester or summer session. Results from these evaluations will be returned to the faculty member in a timely manner. All academic units are expected to follow this policy and exceptions should be reported to the Academic Affairs Office. The Faculty Evaluation Model (FEM) was approved by VSU Faculty Senate at its April 19, 2007 meeting and at its March 25, 2021 meeting. This model included a standard Student Opinion of Instruction (SOI), a university-wide evaluation form with ten standard quantitative questions and three qualitative questions.
Online SOI Procedures
To administer the online SOIs, VSU is utilizing a software platform called SmartEvals. This system allows each student one opportunity for each class to privately provide feedback to instructors. Once the student has completed the survey, the student ID is permanently separated from the student response.
- Information for Faculty
- Instructor Guide for SmartEvals (effective Summer 2019)
- Sample SOI Syllabus Statement
- Instructions to Export SOI Reports for Tenure, Promotion, or Post-Tenure Review
- Guidelines for Colleges, Departments, and Programs using Online SOIs
- Guidelines for Administering SOIs
- Guidelines for Interpreting SOIs
- Faculty Access to SmartEvals (effective Summer 2019)
- Faculty Access to the EAS Portal for SOI data from 2008-2019
- Student Opinion of Instruction form (as approved by the VSU Faculty Senate)
- Information for Students
|Term||Survey Start Date
on this day)
|Survey End Date
(end at 11:59pm
on this day)
|For full-term courses (15 weeks)||14 days prior to the course end date||course end date||full-term last class day + 10 days|
|For part of term courses and summer term||7 days prior to the course end date||course end date||full-term last class day + 10 days|
Sessios offerings on SmartEvals/SOI will be posted in Employee Training System. ORegister through Employee and Organizational Development's Training system. Click “Register” link to add class.
- How to add instructor questions to the SOI (MP4; 5 min., 12 sec.)
- How to export my SmartEvals SOI reports (MP4; 5 min., 6 sec.)
- How department heads and deans export instructor SmartEvals SOI reports (MP4; 4 min., 24 sec.)
On March 7, 2022, the Student Government Association recognized the departments of Computer Science, Chemistry, and Art & Design for the highest response rates from Fall 2021 Student Opinions of Instruction (SOI). SGA Resolution 22-01 passed unanimously. Congratulations to faculty in these departments.
For further information about SOIs and other academic questions, contact Dr. Sharon Gravett in Academic Affairs.
For further information about the SOI surveys in SmartEvals; access issues for surveys; reporting; or problems with those surveys, contact Dr. Michael Black in Academic Affairs.
Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
West Hall Suite 1004
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.5950
- Fax: 229.333.7400