VSU Student Evaluation Policy
The main goal of student evaluations is to help faculty improve courses and instruction; moreover, student evaluations are used in the annual evaluation of faculty. Therefore, faculty will administer student evaluations for each course they teach during the fall and spring semesters, and the summer sessions. All student evaluations must include both quantitative and qualitative sections and be completed by the last teaching day of the semester or summer session. Results from these evaluations will be returned to the faculty member in a timely manner. All academic units are expected to follow this policy and exceptions should be reported to the Academic Affairs Office. The Faculty Evaluation Model (FEM) was approved by VSU Faculty Senate at its April 19, 2007 meeting. This model included a standard Student Opinion of Instruction (SOI), a university-wide evaluation form with ten standard quantitative questions and three qualitative questions.
Online SOI Procedures
To administer the online SOIs, VSU is utilizing a software platform called SmartEvals. This system allows each student one opportunity for each class to privately provide feedback to instructors. Once the student has completed the survey, the student ID is permanently separated from the student response.
- Information for Faculty
- Instructor Guide for SmartEvals (effective Summer 2019)
- Sample SOI Syllabus Statement
- Guidelines for Colleges, Departments, and Programs using Online SOIs
- Guidelines for Administering SOIs
- Faculty Access to SmartEvals SOI Portal (effective Summer 2019)
- Faculty Access to the EAS Portal for SOI data from 2008-2019
- Student Opinion of Instruction form (as approved by the VSU Faculty Senate)
- Information for Students
SOI Survey Windows
|Term||Survey Start Date
on this day)
|Survey End Date
(end at 11:59pm
on this day)
|For full-term courses (15 weeks)||14 days prior to the course end date||course end date + 1 day||full-term last class day + 10 days|
|For part of term courses and summer term||7 days prior to the course end date||course end date||full-term last class day + 10 days|
Face to Face Training Classes
- June 4, 2019, 10:00-11:00, Odum Library 2633
- June 20, 2019, 3:00-4:00, Odum Library 1370
- July 11, 2019, 2:00-3:00, Odum Library 1370
- July 22, 2019, 2:00-3:00, Odum Library 1370
- Aug. 27, 2019, 10:00-11:00, Odum Library 1370
- Sept. 19, 2019, 2:30-3:30, Odum Library 1370
- Oct. 21, 2019, 2:00-3:00, Odum Library 1370
- Nov. 13, 2019, 2:00-3:00, Odum Library 1370
- Nov. 18, 2019, 3:00-4:00, Odum Library 1370 (OPEN LAB HELP SESSION)
- Nov. 19, 2019, 3:30-4:30, Odum Library 1370 (OPEN LAB HELP SESSION)
- Dec. 11, 2019, 3:30-4:30, Odum Library 1370 (OPEN LAB HELP SESSION)
Register through Employee and Organizational Development's Training system. Click “Register” link to add class.
For further information about SOIs and other academic questions, contact Dr. Sharon Gravett in Academic Affairs.
For further information about the SOI surveys in SmartEvals; access issues for surveys, data or non-compliance reports; or problems with those surveys, contact Dr. Michael Black in Academic Affairs.