Hardship Withdrawals

A student who has an emergency that prevents the completion of all* classes for that term may request a Hardship Withdrawal through the Dean of Students Office. The Hardship Withdrawal process is outlined below. It should be noted that a Hardship Withdrawal can only be requested after the designated withdrawal date. A student wanting to withdraw before the designated withdrawal date must follow the Withdrawal from Courses Policy outlined in the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs. Questions regarding the late withdrawal process should be directed to Dr. Daryl Lowe (dalowe@valdosta.edu), Dean of Students, at (229-333-5941).  It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw officially in accordance with university regulations.

*Only in very rare instances will a partial withdrawal be considered, such as in cases where a student may not be able to complete a specific class because of a hardship that prohibits class participation.

Hardship Withdrawal Process AFTER THE DESIGNATED WITHDRAWAL DATE AND UNTIL THE LAST CLASS DAY OF THE COURSE (all paperwork as outlined below must be initiated by the last class day)

  • Students must contact the Dean of Students Office to withdraw them from all of their current semester classes. Students are strongly encouraged to contact their professors/instructors by phone and/or email to notify them of their intentions to withdraw.

  • Students must provide hardship documentation, including a letter from the student explaining the circumstances along with supporting documentation such as the following: for a death in the immediate family, a verifiable obituary; for a serious illness in the immediate family, documentation recommending withdrawal from a physician on the physician’s letterhead signed by the physician (documentation on a prescription pad is unacceptable); for a workplace change, documentation from the employer on the company’s letterhead.

  • The Dean of Students Office will verify the authenticity of the documentation.

  • The hardship withdrawal process cannot begin until both the students’ written permission and the supporting documentation have been received and verified.

  • The Dean of Students Office will contact professors/instructors via email that the student is withdrawing from their class for hardship reasons. This email will include a request for permission to sign off on the hardship withdrawal form for the professor/instructor. Because this request comes after the designated withdrawal date, the Dean of Students Office will request whether the professor/instructor wishes to assign a grade of W or WF for the course. It is important that the professor/instructor respond to this request via email because this documentation supports the hardship withdrawal. In cases where the student is petitioning to change a regular withdrawal to a hardship withdrawal, the actual assigned grade (“W”) will not change; if the petition is granted, that withdrawal will not count in the 5 Course Withdrawal Policy.

  • The Dean of Students Office will then contact the student’s Department Head of their major and the Office of Academic Affairs to request permission to sign off on the student’s hardship withdrawal form for them.

  • The Dean of Students Office will complete Sections A, B, C and D of the withdrawal form and will forward it to the Registrar’s Office without medical and supporting documentation. All supporting documentation will be securely stored in the Dean of Students Office.

  • Students that have received a Medical/Hardship withdrawal previously may be required to submit documentation from a medical provider clearing them for readmission.
  • If the documentation proves to be untruthful, the University reserves the right not to grant the request or to revoke the withdrawal.


Students must initiate the late withdrawal process by 5 p.m. of the last class day of the semester. When all the documentation for the late withdrawal has been received and verified after the end of the semester, the Dean of Students Office will contact faculty members about a grade change from the already posted grade to a “WP or “WF”. The late withdrawal process should not be used as a way to change already existing grades.  If a student appears to have completed the class and been issued a final grade, that student will need to provide further supporting documentation from the course instructor (the late withdrawal verification form to be issued by the Dean of Students Office) giving reasons why he or she would support a late withdrawal.

In very rare cases, students may not be able to initiate the withdrawal by 5 p.m. on the last class day of the semester. However, no withdrawal paperwork will be accepted or appeal considered on withdrawal petitions submitted any later than the following:

for a spring or summer class, the last class day the fall semester following that term;

for a fall class, the last class day of the spring semester following that term.