VSU CARES Food and Funding
VSU Cares provides currently enrolled students with need-based financial assistance as well as assistance with food and clothing. Support for funding comes from the generous gifts of donors to the Valdosta State University Foundation. Food and clothing assistance is through partnership with Aramark food services, the Second Harvest Food Bank, and donations from students and employees of Valdosta State. Thanks to the generosity of many, these funds and supplies are offered to students in need while resources are available.
VSU Cares Grants are designed to assist students (undergraduate and graduate) in overcoming a short-term financial hardship in order for them to maintain their enrollment and is managed through VSU's Division of Student Affairs.
Awards will be determined based on the established criteria outlined in the application. Award amount will be determined based on the request, proof of need, and available funds. Each award is typically less than $500 in order to provide financial assistance to as many students as possible.
VSU Cares aid may be used to assist students with unexpected circumstances resulting in a short-term financial hardship. VSU Cares aid is designed for students with temporary financial needs and are usually only awarded once during their Valdosta State University experience.
Eligible students must have exhausted all other forms of financial assistance and must be currently enrolled at VSU during the time of application.
Students will be asked to describe how they will utilize VSU Cares funds and how the unexpected expenses will impact their ability to remain enrolled at VSU.
Eligible expenses include:
- Food and groceries
- Course materials
- Travel costs related to a death or illness of immediate family member
- Unanticipated and/or extraordinary child expenses, including, but not limited to, child-care, formula, and diapers
- Medical bill or medications
- Sudden emergency move or change in living conditions or to prevent homelessness
- Safety needs (i.e. lock changes)
Application submissions are being accepted now.
All applicants must be enrolled in classes at the time of application. Awards are usually only awarded once during a student's Valdosta State University experience.
Applicants must provide supporting documentation such as a copies of bills, medical documents, receipts, estimates for repairs, photographs, letters of support, newspaper articles, court documents, etc. as evidence of need. Application review is ongoing and awards are offered so long as funds are available.
- Complete the VSU Cares online application. Please note, the Office of Student Affairs will confirm that all financial aid options have been exhausted before considering each application.
- Once the application is submitted, a member of the Student Affairs Office will reach out to you to provide support and resources available.
Please allow up to 15 business days for a response to your application. If you have questions about your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need emergency food assistance:
If you need food assistance sooner than 24 hours, please contact Niki Turley at 229-293-6203 for access to the Drop-n-Shop Food Pantry during normal university business hours.
Awards are subject to the availability of funds. It may take up to three weeks after approval for the assistance funds to be released to the student. Notification of grant awards will be sent via VSU email. Awards will be provided by check from the VSU Foundation mailed directly to the address provided on the application.
Decisions regarding funding will be made on a case-by-case basis and are considered final.
Feed the Blaze
In partnership with Auxiliary Services and SGA, the following programs are provided to support any student experiencing hunger and food insecurity.
- Complete and submit the VSU Cares online application.
- Once the application is submitted, a member of the Student Affairs Office will reach out to you to provide support and resources available. (NOTE: The outreach will be within 24 university business hours - M-Thurs. from 8:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Friday from 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.)
- If you need food assistance sooner than 24 hrs., please contact Niki Turley at 293-6203 for access to the Drop-n-Shop Food Pantry during normal university business hours.
- Questions about your application? Send them to email@example.com.
During donation drives, students, faculty, or staff with a meal plan, can donate dining hall meal swipes to other students in need. SGA just finished a meal swipe donation drive that collected 920 meal swipes that will be donated to students this semester. Be on the lookout for emails about future donation drives.
JUST NEED A MEAL OR TWO
Meal pass to Palms Dining Hall. If you or a friend need a meal, please stop by the Student Leadership & Volunteer Services Office (3rd floor of the Student Union, suite 3118). Mention the Palms guest meal ticket and one of our staff members will be happy to assist. You must be a full-time VSU student, and please bring your OneCard with you.
Meal Plan Scholarship
Currently, funds are being raised to provide need-based meal plan scholarships to students for the fall 2020 semester. If interested in donating to this scholarship, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any student who has a food insecurity need can apply. Students must have exhausted all of their meal swipes (if applicable) for the semester and demonstrate that they have a financial need. Applicants must be a current degree-seeking student at Valdosta State University.
- Complete and submit the VSU Cares online application.
- Once the application is submitted, a member of the Student Affairs Office will reach out to you to provide support and resources available. (NOTE: The outreach will be within 24 university business hours - M-Thurs. from 8:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Friday from 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.).
- Completed applications must be received before Friday at noon to be considered for the following week.
- Must be a current degree-seeking student at Valdosta State University
- May be eligible to receive meal swipes or a meal plan scholarship
- The Office of Student Affairs will review all applications and will either approve or deny the application
- You will receive a notification in writing of the decision
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698