Appeals and Grievance Process

Appeals Process

The COEHS has an appeals process in place to help students and faculty resolve academic issues. This process endeavors to protect both faculty and students by assuring a process that allows dialogue at each step. In general, students who wish to appeal must first discuss the problem with their instructor/staff member or advisor. While the initial appeal may be informal such as a conversation between the faculty/staff member and the student, if the situation is not resolved, the formal appeals process is initiated. The appeals process is student driven, so students may decide at each stage if they wish to go to the next stage. The student must initiate this process within 10 instructional days after notification of the decision. The following links outline the appeals process for all academic matters and other concerns:


(including all bachelor’s degrees, M.A.T. programs, M.Ed. in Communication Disorders, and initial teacher certification programs)


(including all graduate degrees, programs for initial certification of other school professionals and advanced educator certification)

Grievance Process

The COEHS maintains a grievance process available to all students that provides for the discussion and resolution of concerns. Concerns should be resolved informally by speaking with the associated faculty or staff member in the department, center, or office most directly connected to the issue. The faculty/staff member may request additional documentation if necessary, or schedule an appointment to address the concern. If the issue is not resolved, the concern may then be directed, in writing, to the department head or director appropriate to the area of concern. If the concern has not been satisfactorily resolved the student may continue the concern in writing to the college dean.

If, for any reason, a student does not feel comfortable contacting the associated faculty/staff member to discuss a concern, they may contact the person’s supervisor (department head, director, or Dean) and request that their identity be kept confidential.

Students wishing to report concerns of harassment or discrimination should contact the Student Conduct Office/Dean of Students’ Office (Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students) or the Office of Social Equity, as per University policy.