Subject: Assistant Conductor - Valdosta (GA) Symphony Orchestra
Organization: Valdosta State University/Valdosta Symphony Orchestra
Position: Assistant Conductor/Graduate Assistant/Master of Music Performance beginning Fall 2022
Valdosta State University’s unique orchestral conducting program offers training as the Assistant Conductor of a professional orchestra while working towards a master’s degree in conducting. As the program’s only orchestral conducting student over a two-year term, the Assistant Conductor/Graduate Assistant will gain not only considerable podium time but also experience in the other aspects of a conductor’s job, including programming, designing and conducting educational concerts, public speaking, and donor/patron cultivation. Graduates of our program have gone on to work with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Charleston Symphony, Charlotte Symphony, New World Symphony, Chicago Sinfonietta, Eastern Music Festival, and the Salt Lake City Symphony.
- Serve as Assistant Conductor of the Valdosta Symphony Orchestra (VSO) and the Valdosta Symphony Youth Orchestra (VSYO).
- Earn a Master of Music Performance in Orchestral Conducting
- Have weekly podium time with the Valdosta State University (VSU) String Ensemble, Orchestra Class, and the VSYO
- Conduct the VSO, String Ensemble, and VSYO in concert
- Get frequent feedback from the professional musicians who serve as the Principals of the VSO
- Assist the Music Director in VSO rehearsals
- Create and conduct Educational Concert programming
- Give pre-concert chats
- Assist with the production of televised concerts
- Attend Board and Guild meetings
Requirements: Undergraduate degree in music required, excellent musicianship, ability to work well with faculty, other professionals and college students, public speaking skills.
Benefits Offered: VSU offers competitive graduate assistantships, including full tuition and stipends up to $8,000 for qualified students.
Organization Description: Winner of the American Prize in Orchestral Performance, the Valdosta Symphony Orchestra has served both the cultural life of Valdosta and the regional academic mission of Valdosta State University since 1990. The high standard of performance of the orchestra enables it to attract guest soloists of national and international renown to the Valdosta community.
The orchestra's membership is a unique blend of resident artist-faculty, students studying professional music disciplines, talented community performers, and carefully selected professionals from a five-state region. Supported by an Advisory Board of Directors, the Valdosta Symphony Guild, Valdosta State University, corporate sponsors, and hundreds of individual patrons, the orchestra has become an important part of the cultural life of the entire region. The Valdosta State University Department of Music is a fully accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music, with a faculty of 27 artist teachers and over 150 music majors.
Location: Valdosta, GA
Application Deadline: Open until filled – position begins Fall 2022
2) E-mail the following materials to Dr. Howard Hsu (email@example.com)
- 20-30 minutes of videos (youtube links) consisting of rehearsal and/or performance with an ensemble, preferably of the applicant facing the camera
- Copies of 2 letters of reference from music educators and/or professionals
- Copy of transcripts from each university attended
A limited number of applicants will be invited for an on-campus audition/interview on Tuesday, March 8, 2022
Department of Music
- 1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.5804
- Fax: 229.259.5578
8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.