Why Study Chemistry at Valdosta State University?
Our brochure shows that you can do amazing things with a chemistry degree from VSU. Our Chemistry graduates work in industry, go to graduate school and medical school, perform research, and serve their community. Here’s some reasons for you to join us.
- The chemical industry is one of the largest manufacturing and export sectors of the U.S. economy. It touches almost all manufactured goods, including those for consumers, pharmaceuticals, energy, agriculture, and basic chemicals.
- A chemistry degree prepares you for all types of careers in the health care fields. Chemistry knowledge is critical to your success on entrance exams for medical (MCAT) and pharmacy (PCAT) schools.
- Chemists perform basic research (NASA, Oak Ridge National Lab), cure diseases (CDC), and ensure our health and environmental safety (EPA, OSHA, state and local governments).
- Chemists serve their country in FBI forensics labs and all branches of the military.
- Chemistry students go on to share their knowledge with others as teachers and college professors.
The job outlook for chemists is bright. Chemists enjoy a low 1.5% overall unemployment rate, a median salary of $79,300 ($40/hr), and an expected 4% job growth rate over the next ten years, which is faster than most other jobs (2020 data).
But why attend VSU? Our Chemistry faculty and staff are dedicated to your success in the classroom, in research, and in all your academic endeavors. This short video shows you why our students think VSU is special: VSU faculty and staff inspire them to succeed. All faculty share the spirit of supporting students so that they can achieve their dreams. Chemistry faculty work one-on-one with students as academic and research mentors. Our department has the same resources and infrastructure (equipment, facilities, instruments) as larger universities but we provide you with a superior education in a supportive, caring environment.
Check out our Degree Options to learn about the many paths to becoming a VSU Chemistry graduate.
Did I mention our Student Awards? Each year, the faculty recognize the outstanding achievements of our students of all academic levels with scholarships and awards worth thousands of dollars. These awards are funded by generous support from employers, alumni and friends of the VSU Chemistry program. Our students are truly impressive and we are glad that our department can honor their hard work by providing them with financial support. Our Student Awards page describes each award and the application process in more detail.
Schedule a tour of the beautiful campus and our department. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve your personal and career goals.
And one more thing: Go Blazers!
Dr. Kurt Winkelmann
Chemistry Professor and Department Head