Frequently Asked Questions
How does PAL tutoring work?
First, make an appointment with a PAL (Peer Alliance Learning) tutor by:
- calling our office (229-333-7570),
- visiting our website through the MyVSU portal
- clicking the Make An Appointment button
- dropping by our location on the 2nd floor of Odum Library.
- Next, come to ASC on time, check in with the front desk, and...
- Bring your assignments, drafts, homework, and textbooks so you can fully explain to your tutor what you are trying to accomplish or don’t understand.
- Do your homework before you meet with a tutor. The tutor will suggest another time to meet if you are not prepared with the above materials.
- Understand that your grade is your responsibility; tutors will not do homework for you.
- Expect to be listened to and encouraged as you work with a tutor.
What is the cost for tutoring?
- All services provided by the Academic Support Center are free to students.
Who are the PAL tutors?
PAL tutors are undergraduate students who have excelled academically and who are interested in assisting other students to succeed.
What subjects is tutoring offered in?
- PAL tutoring is available in core most curriculum courses including English/Writing, Mathematics, Foreign languages, Social Sciences and Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) as well as other areas such as Accounting and History (subject to change).
- Graduate Writing tutoring is offered for most Graduate classes (subject to change).
- In many subjects, PAL (Peer Alliance Learning) is also available whereby PALs attend classes in which they provide assistance and run ongoing study groups as PAL Faciltators.
If I need help with time management, study skills etc, can the Academic Support Center help me?
Yes, the Academic Support Center can offer assistance in several ways: academic coaching tutoring appointments and workshops. We offer workshops throughout the Fall and Spring semesters on several topics related to academic success including time management and study skills. Students may also make an individual appointment if they are unable to attend the workshop.
Academic Support Center
Odum Library, 2nd floor
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698 (next to Circulation)
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.7570
- Fax: 229.333.7579
Mon-Thur: 9:00am - 7:00pm
Fri: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 3:00pm - 7:00pm
Find us on social media!