Vocational Rehabilitation

I. Benefit Description The Vocational Rehabilitation program provides services and assistance necessary for service-connected disabled veterans to achieve independence and to obtain and maintain suitable

employment. Vocational Rehabilitation can include college, technical school or on-the-job training or special training at rehabilitation facilities or at home when it is necessary because of a serious disability. 

Vocational Rehabilitation services include, in part, assessment, counseling, training, subsistence allowances and employment assistance. VA also will assist you in job placement. While you are enrolled in a Vocational Rehabilitation program, VA pays the cost of tuition, fees, required books, supplies and equipment. VA also may pay for special supportive services such as medical and dental care, prosthetic devices, lip-reading training and signing for the deaf. II. Eligibility If you have an other than dishonorable discharge, you may be entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation benefits if BOTH of the following conditions are met:

A. You have a service-connected disability(ies) and VA has awarded you at least 20 percent compensation. Effective October 1, 1993, a veteran with a 10 percent disability evaluation may also be eligible if a serious employment handicap is evident. 

B. VA determines that you need vocational rehabilitation to overcome an impairment to your ability to prepare for, obtain or retain employment consistent with your abilities, aptitudes and interests.

Your service-connected disability must materially contribute to this employment handicap. 

If you are eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, you may receive up to 4 years of rehabilitation services. Generally, you must complete a rehabilitation program within 12 years from the date VA notifies you of your entitlement to compensation benefits. III. How to Apply Submit a VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation. In Addition, the following supporting evidence and/or documents should be submitted with your claim, if not currently on record with VA: the original or copies of birth and marriage certificates and copies of divorce/death record terminating your prior marriages and those of your spouse.   IV. Other Related Benefits

  • Extended Evaluation Services

  • Independent Living Services

  • Priority Medical Care/Services

  • Employment Assistance

  • Work-Study Allowance Program

  • Tutorial Assistance

Contact your local VA Regional Office for additional assistance by dialing our toll-free number, 1-888-GIBILL1.