Calculating Rate of Pursuit
Please follow the steps below to calculate how many hours you would need to take, in order to be considered as “full time” for VA payment purposes:
1. Visit http://www.gavco.org/traininghelps.htm and click on the first link that says “Rate of Pursuit Calculator”.
2. Enter in the term dates that you are planning to attend (Example: The common Spring 2018 term dates were: 1/8/2018 – 5/4/2018.
3. Ignore the Break Period section, unless you have a semester that has a week-long break in the middle (like Spring Break).
4. Fill in the type of hours (“S” for semester), number of hours you plan to attend, and then the F/T (full time) measure (12 hours).
5. If all of the above is filled in correctly, you will be able to then see the calculations. The “Rate of Pursuit” column (far right) will tell you whether or not you would be considered as “full time”. If the figure shows anything less than 100%, you will not be considered as a full time student and will not be paid the maximum VA rate.
If you have further questions about being full time and how the Rate of Pursuit is used to calculate your VA payments, please call the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GIBILL-1).