Veteran Affairs FAQs

  • How do I apply for my VA benefits?

    • Online at:
    • Or your nearest VA Office
      • 2841 N Patterson Street, Valdosta, GA 229-333-2178
      •  222 Chestnutt Ave, Tifton, GA 229-386-3856
      • 751 SE Sycamore Ter, Lake City, FL 386-758-0600
  • When do I contact the school VA certifying official?

    Anytime there is a change in schedule (i.e. adding/ dropping classes, withdrawal, or transfer)

    • Graduation
    • Change of program
    • Dual major
  • Full, A, B terms…..what do they mean?

    • Full term – receive credit for the entire term (16 weeks).
    • A/B term – receive credit for the time period of the A/B term (8 weeks).
    • There will be a drop in enrollment from when A term ends and B term begins.

    To inquire how A term and B term will affect your pay: Call the VA office at 1-888GIBILL-1 OR on the VSU Office of Veterans Affairs page check Rate of Pursuit Calculator.

  • Who do I contact if my VA payment is not the correct amount or haven’t received my payment?

    • If your hours of enrollment are correct, contact the VA directly @ 1-888-GIBILL-1.
    • If your hours of enrollment are incorrect, contact school certifying official.
  • Who do I contact if I received a bill from the VA stating I owe them money?

    Call the VA directly @ 1-888-GIBILL-1

  • Do I have to pay tuition and fees upfront?

         All VA programs except for Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) & Chapter 31 (Voc. Rehab.) have to pay for tuition and fees upfront. If a class is not required for your program of study and you are using Chapter 33 or Chapter 31, you must pay for that class upfront.

  • What is a certification and when is it submitted to the VA by the school?

    • A certification is a notification to the VA regarding your school enrollment and school costs (if applicable).
    • Each school is different, but certifications are usually submitted to the VA by the end of the school drop/add period.
  • Does it matter if I take online courses instead of classes on campus?

    This depends on the VA educational benefit that is used, but taking all online coursework can impact some VA payments, call the VA directly @ 1-888-GIBILL-1