A key component of our reaffirmation of accreditation with SACSCOC is demonstrating that our faculty are highly qualified. In the 2018 Principles of Accreditation, Section 6.2 (Faculty) states, "For each of its educational programs, the institution justifies and documents the qualification of its faculty members."
The institution employs competent faculty members qualified to accomplish the mission and goals of the institution. When determining acceptable qualifications of its faculty, an institution gives primary consideration to the highest earned degree in the discipline. The institution also considers competence, effectiveness, and capacity, including, as appropriate, undergraduate and graduate degrees, related work experiences in the field, professional licensure and certifications, honors and awards, continuous documented excellence in teaching, or other demonstrated competencies and achievements that contribute to effective teaching and student learning outcomes.
For the Commission Guidelines on credentials, click here. These guidelines are summarized further for VSU Department Heads and Deans.
VSU uses a system called APL nextED, to record course syllabi, faculty educational credentials, and faculty activity (teaching, service, and research). Every term that a faculty member teaches, s/he will need to upload course syllabi and qualifications for teaching the courses assigned. Faculty can update their scholarly activities and additional professional experiences at any time.
To log in to APL, bookmark and access http://www.aplnexted.com/login/valdosta using your Active Directory login name and password. Directions for entering degree information, uploading syllabi, and updating your faculty profile are available through the links below.
All syllabi are required to contain student learning outcomes. Core and undergraduate course syllabi must list the appropriate VSU General Education student learning outcomes as well as the relevant student learning outcomes for the major. Graduate course syllabi must list the relevant student learning outcomes for the graduate program of which they are a part.
APL nextED Portal (for entering faculty credentials and course syllabi)
Step-by-Step Guides and Instructions
- Introduction to APL nextED's menus and features (PDF)
- Instructions to enter scholarship and service activities (PDF)
- Instructions to enter goals, reflections, and peer reviews (PDF)
- Coming soon...Instructions to Export the Annual Faculty Activity Report and Action Plan (PDF)
Coming soon...Instructions to Export Reports from APL (PDF)
- Course Syllabi Upload Instructions for Administrators (PDF)
Creating Syllabi (a clear list of what every syllabus should contain)
- Instructions for entering library activities (for Faculty Librarians) (PDF)
Faculty Credential Justification Exceptions (for department heads to complete and route)
- Coming soon...Instructions for Department Heads to complete the Annual Faculty Evaluation (PDF)
- Coming soon...Instructions to export a summary sheet for Pre-Tenure, Post-Tenure, Promotion and/or Tenure (PDF)
- Coming soon...Instructions to export the Graduate Faculty Status Application (PDF)
- Graduate Faculty Status at VSU
Face-to-Face Training Courses
Face-to-face training classes are offered routinely. Register through Employee and Organizational Development's Training system. Click the “Training Course Registration” link search and add the class.
APL Training Classes:
- August 27, 2019 11:30am, Odum Library New Media Center 1370
- September 19, 2019 4:00pm, Odum Library New Media Center 1370
- October 21, 2019 3:30pm, Odum Library New Media Center 1370
- November 13, 2019 3:30pm, Odum Library New Media Center 1370
- Nov. 18, 2019 3:00-4:00, Odum Library 1370 (OPEN LAB HELP SESSION)
- Nov. 19, 2019 3:30-4:30, Odum Library 1370 (OPEN LAB HELP SESSION)
- Dec. 11, 2019 3:30-4:30, Odum Library 1370 (OPEN LAB HELP SESSION)
- January XX, 2020 TBD
- February XX, 2020 TBD
- March XX, 2020 TBD
- April XX, 2020 TBD
- Coming soon
If you cannot access the videos or training materials, email us at apl [at] valdosta.edu and we will be glad to provide them to you in another format.