- Should be rated medium to high; anything lower is not recommended
- Intel: i5 or i7
- AMD: Ryzen 7 1700 or Ryzen 7 1800X
- Minimum: 16GB
Recommended: Up to your discretion: the more memory your PC has, the faster it will run
- At least 500GB if HDD (hard disk drive/spinning platter)
- At least 250GB if SSD (solid state drive)
- Minimum: 802.11ac or Wireless-AC
- Recommended: 802.11ax or WiFi-6
Type of Computer:
- Desktop PC with monitor, keyboard & mouse
- Laptop Type: Windows and Apple are sufficient choices, but familiarity with the operating system you choose is most important
- Hybrid Tablets, such as the Microsoft Surface Pro, are great for multipurpose use
- Chromebooks or Netbooks are NOT recommended due to hardware limitations
- Manufacturing Brand: HP, Acer, Asus, Dell, Lenovo, etc.
- Vendors: Best Buy, Amazon, Wal-Mart, Office-Max, New Egg, etc.; or directly from manufacture
The following are only recommendations for use on your personal devices. You may use whatever software, free or paid, that best meet your needs. Students, faculty and staff should not need to install software on institutional equipment since this process is centrally managed by VSU Information Technology.
*During Avast installation, please be sure to click the Customize Installation link and uncheck SecureLine VPN, as it may cause conflicts with our campus network.
Computer Protection and Recovery
File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
|FileZilla||PC & Mac | Guides|
|SSH File Transfer||PC | Guides|
- Solutions Center
1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
VSU Solutions Center
Eastern Standard Times
Mon-Thurs: 8 am - 9 pm
Friday: 8 am - 5 pm
Saturday: 8 am - 1 pm
Sunday: 8am - 2 pm