Tax Information

1098-T Reporting Information
In 1997, the United States Congress passed the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (TRA '97). A portion of this act provides for tax credits in certain cases for qualified tuition and fees paid to institutions of higher education. No later than January 31, Valdosta State University will provide a Form 1098-T to each enrolled student billed for tuition at the University during the previous calendar year. Forms can be accessed via your student account. If you did not select to view your statement online, your statement will be mailed.
The 1098-T will include an indication as to whether the recipient was enrolled at least half-time for at least one academic term during the calendar year and whether the student was enrolled exclusively in graduate level courses. Also included will be the payments received for "qualified" tuition and related expenses, scholarships and/or grants disbursed and adjustments made in the prior year's statement during the calendar year. The University will provide a supplemental statement that itemizes the totals being reported should you have questions.
The University cannot provide tax advice concerning income taxes or the applicability of TRA '97 to individual situations. Questions concerning income tax matters should be directed to a tax professional or the IRS. You may also find the following references/sources helpful:
  • Internal Revenue Service
  • IRS Publication 970 - "Tax Benefits for Higher Education"
  • IRS telephone number: 1-800-829-1040

Request for Social Security/ITIN Number

As a result of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, the law requires educational institutions to obtain a valid SSN/ITIN from all students subject to file a tax return. In order to file an information return concerning your enrollment with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), we must have your valid SSN/ITIN. Failure to provide this information may result in a penalty from the IRS. If you are in the process of applying for one, please provide us with this number using the forms below as soon as you receive it. Please note that if you are a non-resident alien and do not have income that is subject to tax, you are not required to supply this information to us unless you request that the university report your information to the IRS.
In order to update your records with your SSN/ITIN, we will need you to complete and return the IRS W-9S form no later than January 10. Please note we must have a copy of your SSN/ITIN in order to process this form.
Please complete part 1 of the W-9S form and attach a copy of the SSN/ITIN card for documentation.

Please return completed form and your copy of the SSN/ITIN card to:
University Bursary
Valdosta State University
1500 N. Patterson Street
Valdosta, GA  31698

1098-T Frequently Asked Questions

  • 1. Can anyone obtain a copy of my 1098-T?

    FERPA applies! Federal law prohibits us from giving out information to parents unless we have student's written consent on file in the Registrar's Office. However, even with a FERPA permission on file, students are still responsible for providing a copy of their 1098-T to parents or any other person the student wishes to have a copy.

  • 2. Please explain the tax statement I received from VSU.

    VSU is required by the Tax Reform Act of 1997 to send each student a form 1098-T to help them determine if they are eligible for one of the Education Tax Credits. Detail for each amount reported is available on BannerWEB.  Login, click on Student Main Menu > Legacy Banner > Student Services & Financial Aid > Student Account > Tax Notification > Select Tax Year > Enter Applicable Tax Year > Click Submit.

  • 3. What does “Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses” (AKA “Qualified Charges”) mean?

    Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses refers to those charges that are allowed to be claimed toward a tax deduction or educational tax credit on your taxes (Section 1.25 A-2 (b)(1)(2)(d) IRS Tax Code). The following fees are included in qualified expenses: Tuition Charges / Institutional Fees / Student Activities Fee /Athletics Fee/ Technology Fee / Miscellaneous Course Fees related to your degree program.

  • 4. Why is the Scholarship and Grants amount (box 5) different than the total of my scholarships and grants?

    There are some scholarships and grants that are not reported. For example, private scholarships paid directly to the student are not included in this amount.

  • 5. How can I see the detail that makes up the amounts on my 1098-T and /or print a copy of my 1098-T?

    Students may view and print the form 1098-T by logging into the Online Student Account Center. Detail for each amount reported is available through Banner. After login, click on the following: Legacy Banner > Student Services & Financial Aid > Student Account > Tax Notification. Enter the tax year, and then submit. You may print this page. Your tax advisor can use this information to assist you with your taxes.

  • 6. Where can I get more information on TRA97 or the Education Tax Credits?

    The IRS website is very helpful. For more information, see IRS publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education and IRS Form 8863, Education Credits at website.

  • 7. How do I file for these tax credits?

     Attach IRS form 8863 “Education Credits (Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits)”  to your tax return (1040). VSU staff cannot give tax advice or help in calculating individual credit amounts. Please see your tax advisor for assistance.

  • 8. I am an international student and I didn’t receive a 1098-T. Why would this happen?

    The IRS tax code states that nonresident alien individuals are not eligible to claim an education tax credit. Legal resident aliens may be eligible (section 25 A (g)(7) IRS Tax Code). If you feel you are eligible to receive a 1098-T, it is your responsibility to provide VSU your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) PRIOR to the 1098-T processing for the calendar year.  If you are a legal resident alien and think you should have received a 1098-T, please contact the Office of Student Accounts so we can research this for you.  

  • 9. Can a non-US Citizen, obtain a 1098-T?

    Most alien individuals present in the U.S. on an F-1 Student Visa cannot claim education credits.  Generally speaking, the time spent by an alien individual studying in the U.S. on an F-1 Student Visa would not count toward determining whether he or she was a resident alien under the substantial presence test for federal tax purposes.  Thus, if you are an alien individual with an F-1 Student Visa, you are probably a nonresident alien.  In general, if you are a nonresident alien for any part of the year, you do not qualify for the education credit.  If you are a U.S. resident filing Form 1040, and your parents do not claim you as a dependent, and you meet all of the other requirements for the credit, you may qualify for the credit.  

  • 10.How do I update my address when I move?

    Please contact the Registrar’s Office in the University Center (229-333-5727) or log into: BannerRegistration. After login, click on the following: Legacy Banner > Personal Information > Update Address, then follow the directions on the page. For assistance, email the Registrar's Office at