Section 22.214.171.124 of the University System of Georgia Board of Regents Policy Manual defines Mandatory student fees as fees which are paid by all students as required by the Board of Regents or as required by the institution subject to approval by the Board of Regents.
At Valdosta State University, proposals to increase mandatory student fees and proposals to create new mandatory student fees must first be submitted for approval, receive the recommendation of the President and finally, receive approval from a campus committee composed of at least 50 percent students. Students are appointed by the institution's student government association. The Board of Regents approves or denies requests in the Spring (for a Fall effective date).
Detailed information about Valdosta State University’s mandatory fees for each semester, Fall 2015 through Summer 2016:
Effective Fall Semester 2016, mandatory fees will be assessed as follows, as approved by the Student Fee Allocation Committee and the Planning and Budget Council:
1. Mandatory fees will be charged for one or more credit hours on campus in Valdosta.
2. Students living in resident halls and taking all online courses will be assessed mandatory fees.
Mandatory fees consist of the following:
- Student Activity fees $239
- Health fee $104
- Health Facility fee $46
- Athletic fee $146
- Transportation fee $35
- Parking facility fee $118
- Technology fee $65
- Access Card fee $10
- Institutional fee $295 ($147.50 if 4 total hours or less)
Students whose registration is ONLY for classes that are not scheduled on campus in Valdosta will be assessed the following mandatory fees each semester (fees are not subject to waiver). This includes registration for online classes.
- Technology fee $65
- Institution fee $295 ($147.50 if 4 total hours or less)
All fees are tentative and subject to change based on Board of Regents policy.
Waiver of Mandatory Fees
Section 126.96.36.199 of the University System of Georgia Board of Regents Policy Manual allows an institution to waive mandatory fees under limited circumstances. At Valdosta State University, students may be eligible for waiver of applicable mandatory fees if enrolled in a practicum (e.g., student teaching), internship, or externship:
- Practicum, internship, or externship assignment must be located at least 50 miles from the institution, and not in the following counties: Atkinson, Berrien, Brooks, Charlton, Clinch, Coffee, Colquitt, Cook, Echols, Grady, Irwin, Lanier, Lowndes, Mitchell, Thomas, Tift, Ware, Worth, Hamilton (FL), and Madison (FL). Students placed in these counties are NOT eligible for the waiver of fees.
- Students are initially charged and must pay the mandatory fees by published fee payment deadlines. Then, once the semester begins, the internship/externship/practicum professor should initiate the waiver process by submitting the waiver request for all eligible students. The Bursary and Registrar's Office then verifies eligibility, applies the waiver and the Bursary refunds the applicable fees in our normal refund process.
- Students who feel they are eligible for waiver of mandatory fees under this policy should contact the professor.
Students enrolled in distance-learning courses or programs and not enrolled in an on-campus course or residing on campus may be eligible for waiver of applicable mandatory fees. In this case, only the required mandatory fees are assessed on the student account (technology, access card, and institutional). The other mandatory fees are not assessed if enrolled totally in online classes. Thus, no special waiver request is required.
If you have any questions about mandatory fees in general, please contact Debra McCrary or 229-333-5725.