International Studies Minor
Program Director: Dr. Ivan Nikolov
Office: Center for International Programs 204 Georgia Avenue
Program Coordinator: Dr. Robert Harding
Office : Department of Political Science, West Hall 244
The Center for International Programs offers a multidisciplinary minor in International Studies, which is designed to meet three objectives:
- Provide students with a fundamental understanding of international studies as an academic field and the dynamics involved in international issues and concerns;
- Provide students with a substantial exposure to a specific world region, transnational problem, or disciplinary specialty that is international in scope;
- Offer opportunities for undergraduate research, service learning, and community engagement in the international dimension.
Selected Educational Outcomes
1. To clearly describe the parameters of international studies as a field of inquiry and practice, both in historic perspective and current usage;
2. To evaluate career possibilities that are international in nature as well as the most suitable educational paths to those careers;
3. To appreciate the complexities of cultural differences and the impact of these differences on cross-cultural understanding;
4. To apply the tools of research to a major international and inter-disciplinary problem, issue, or phenomenon;
5. To express thorough knowledge of a particular international problem, world region, or international dimension within an academic discipline.
International Studies Minor Requirements
All inquiries regarding the minor should be directed to Dr. Robert Harding or Dr. Ivan Nikolov. The Minor is assisted by an advisory board made up of experienced faculty in the field of international studies. Students may wish to consult with these faculty members in their respective colleges regarding overseas study opportunities and completion of a Senior Capstone Project (INT'L 4800).
International Studies Minor Advisory Committee
|Dr. Ivan Nikolov - Ex Officio Chair, CIP||
Dr. Michael Baun - Program Committee Chair, Political Science
|Dr. Robert Harding, Political Science, Program Coordinator||Dr. Ken Kirk, Arts|
|Dr. Christine James, Philosophy||Dr. Michael Noll, Geography|
|Dr. Theresa Thompson, Literature||Dr. Cynthia Tori, Economics|
Center for International Programs
204 Georgia Avenue
Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Phone: 229.333.7410
- Fax: 229.245.3849
Monday- Thursday 8:00 am- 5:30 pm
Friday 8:00 am - 3:00 pm