Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
Valdosta State University offers two Respondus tools within BlazeVIEW to help maintain academic integrity during online exams: Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor. Each tool serves a unique purpose for online testing. This page provides information and resources for both LockBrowser and Monitor.
- What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
- What is Respondus Monitor
- What are the Technical Requirements for Respondus tools?
- Instructor Resources for Course Implementation
- Respondus Practice Quizzes
- Student Support Resources
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within the BlazeVIEW Quizzes tool. When students use LockDown Browser to access an exam, they are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, or access other applications. Once an assessment is started, students are locked into it until the assessment is submitted for grading.
Watch this brief introductory video explaining how LockDown Browser works from the student perspective:
Respondus Monitor is a fully automated proctoring solution that enables students to take online exams at any time of the day or night without pre-scheduling. It is an add-on to Respondus Lockdown Browser, so students do not have to download any additional software to take monitored exams.
Students use an internal or external webcam to record themselves during an exam. A startup sequence guides them through requirements selected by the instructor, such as showing identification or briefly recording the exam environment.
Powerful analytics are used to detect suspicious behaviors during an exam session. The video of the testing session is saved for the instructor to review at a later time. Video segments with potential exam violations are flagged for the instructor, with an overall risk level assigned to the exam session.
NOTE: Monitor is not a remote live proctoring program. Only the instructor can review video recordings from the exam session.
Since Respondus LockDown Browser is an application that students must download and install on a computer, students must have the appropriate technology to do so. Additional technology is also required in order to use the features available with Respondus Monitor.
System requirements for LockDown Browser and Monitor:
- Operating System
- Windows: 10* and 11.
*Windows 10S is not a compatible operating system, nor can LockDown Browser be obtained via the Windows App Store.
- Mac: macOS 10.12 to 12.0+
- iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration.
- ChromeOS: Chromebooks are not supported at VSU
- Windows: 10* and 11.
- Hard Disk Space
- Windows: 200 MB of free hard disk space
- Mac: 200 MB of free hard disk space
- Windows: 2 GB RAM (A minimum 4GB of available RAM is necessary when using LockDown Browser to take an exam that also uses a webcam.)
- Mac: 2 GB RAM (A minimum 4GB of available RAM is necessary when using LockDown Browser to take an exam that also uses a webcam.)
- A broadband internet connection
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone are required for Respondus Monitor
Visit the Respondus Student Resources webpage for video instructions, guides, and technical support, or you can open a Support Ticket if you need assistance with Respondus LockDown Browser or Respondus Monitor.
Review the following video and address the following five elements: Purpose, Equity, Technology, Access, Preparation before enabling Respondus LockDown Browser or Monitor for your exams and quizzes. All five of these pieces are crucial to successful implementation.
Help prepare students by directing them to take a Respondus-enabled practice quiz in advance of course assessments using Respondus. Practice quizzes should be set with unlimited attempts and no dates so they are available for students throughout the semester. By taking a practice quiz prior to the date of the course assessment, students can troubleshoot and solve technical issues or find alternate testing options.
Two practice quiz options you can implement include:
- Creating a non-graded practice quiz within your course using the same Respondus settings as your course quizzes. The practice quiz should provide unlimited attempts and stay open throughout the semester.
- Directing students who are currently enrolled BlazeVIEW courses to use the Respondus-enabled practice quizzes available in the VSU BlazeVIEW Student Tutorial.
How to set up a quiz with Respondus LockDown Browser:
When implementing Respondus, be sure to communicate the technology requirements and share the following resources with students. Through this communication, you can determine if all students have or know where to locate the technology resources they will need before and during the test.
- Installation Instructions: Students can follow these instructions when installing Respondus LockDown Browser on non-VSU managed computers
- Student Guide: This guide contains information to guide students when installing and using Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
- Technical Support: Submit a ticket here for assistance with technical issues