All About Quality Matters
Quality Matters at VSU
Quality Matters™ (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online and blended courses. QM is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received national recognition for its peer-based approach to continuous improvement in online education and student learning. The QM programs include:
- Faculty-centered, continuous improvement models for assuring the quality of online courses through peer review
- Professional development workshops and certification courses for instructors and online learning professionals
- Rubrics for applying quality standards to course design
Valdosta State University is part of the University System of Georgia Consortium subscription. Learn more about Quality Matters.
QM-Managed Course Reviews
In order for online or blended courses to become officially QM certified, they must go through a rigorous QM-Managed Review process. The following standards must be met on the reviews of all courses seeking QM recognition:
- Use of current and unmodified QM Rubric Standards and Annotations
- Use of the online Course Review Management System
- Review of online, blended, or competency-based course
- Three-person peer review team meeting the following criteria:
- All reviewers are eligible QM Peer Reviewers
- At least one reviewer is external to the institution submitting the course
- At least one reviewer designated as Subject Matter Expert
- Team Chair is a QM Master Reviewer (requires additional professional development)
Any online or blended courses that have been taught for at least one semester are eligible for this type of review. The goals of the program are to increase student retention, learning, and satisfaction in online/blended courses by implementing better course design.
The course review process actively involves faculty, and there is a limited time during which any requested course revisions may be completed. If you are interested in submitting one of your courses for review, please complete our initial QM Course Review Interest Form.
Once this interest form is completed, a Center for eLearning staff member will enroll you into our Quality Matters Review Process course in BlazeVIEW, where you must complete a VSU Faculty Developer Form and a Self-Review of your course, which will aid in preparing the course for review. The member fee for a QM-Managed Review is $1000 to be paid through the faculty member's department.
If you have any questions about the QM course review process, please contact us at: email@example.com or 229.245.6490.
QM Professional Development Opportunities
Quality Matters offers a wide variety of short workshops and other training.
The QM Rubric Course is an introduction to QM process and structure. This is a 2-week course called "Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR)" and is completely online, and the participant receives a certificate. It does not give specific QM recognition to any course, but it is the first step in the process to becoming a Higher Ed QM Peer Reviewer.
Why become a Higher Ed QM Peer Reviewer?
Here are just a few reasons to consider earning a reviewer role:
- Make a difference in online learning
- Reflect on and improve your own course
- Make important connections
- Enhance your communication skills
- Add to your resume and increase career opportunities
- Earn stipends
- Gain recognition
What are the steps to become QM Peer Reviewer?
1. Complete the Applying the QM Rubric workshop - https://www.qualitymatters.org/professional-development/workshops/higher-ed-appqmr
Learn about the QM Higher Ed Rubric and the process of using it to review an online course.
2. Complete the Peer Reviewer Course - https://www.qualitymatters.org/professional-development/courses/higher-ed-prc
An intensive course focused on the QM quality assurance for course review process.
3. Meet the Requirements:
- Current QM membership
- Online teaching experience in a for-credit course within the last 18 months
4. Complete the Peer Reviewer application
After successful completion of the Peer Reviewer Course, you will be provided with the application.
To register for QM training and get certified, you must create an account: https://www.qmprogram.org/myqm/
1. Select “No, I am new here” and then click "Sign In." Use your VSU email address when creating your account.
2. On the Welcome to MyQM page, scroll down to the Professional Development section.
3. Find the workshop or course title in "Filter by Training Type."
4. Click "Filter" to view the open Professional Development workshops.
5. Locate session in the list and click "Register."
6. Confirm details and review policy information.
Please allow one week between the completion date of Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR) workshop and the starting date of the Peer Reviewer Course (PRC) to ensure your record reflects successful completion of the APPQMR. Registration in the PRC is not enabled until completion is marked for the APPQMR workshop.
Associated Fees & Costs: https://www.qualitymatters.org/qm-membership/faqs/professional-development-fees
Professional Development Schedule: https://www.qualitymatters.org/professional-development/schedule