September 26, 2016
Communications and Media Relations Coordinator
VSU Puts the Focus on Mental Health Wellness Sept. 28
VALDOSTA — The Valdosta State University Counseling Center will host Mental Wellness Day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 28, at Palms Quad.
Mental Wellness Day activities are designed to be relaxing, fun, empowering, and informative — and to reflect VSU’s commitment to fostering a living, learning environment that is conducive to the mental and emotional well-being of all students while supporting their pursuit of lifelong happiness and success. During the three-hour event, students will have the opportunity to:
• Conduct a “checkup from the neck up” and learn more about the services offered through the Counseling Center.
• Grab some sidewalk chalk and write encouraging words or motivational quotes for their peers to enjoy while walking across campus.
• Participate in a life balance art activity and discover ways to live in a more balanced way.
• Play games and experience how physical activity affects their mental and emotional well-being.
• Enjoy the simple pleasures of face painting and/or petting a dog.
The first 100 students to attend Mental Wellness Day will receive a goody bag.
Heidi O’Connor, a licensed associate professional counselor at VSU, said the Counseling Center hosts a mental wellness event every fall “to bring awareness to the mental health concerns our community faces and to continue challenging an ongoing stigma surrounding mental health.” As the campus community continues to learn more about mental wellness, she said it becomes “more and more inclusive of students dealing with mental health concerns.”
Mental Wellness Day is co-sponsored by Campus Wellness and Campus Recreation, with donations from the Student Health Center.
According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services, positive mental health allows people to realize their full potential, cope with the stresses of life, work productively, and make meaningful contributions to their communities.
Contact the VSU Counseling Center at (229) 333-5940 to learn more.
On the Web:https://www.valdosta.edu/student/student-services/counseling-center/
- Office of Communications Powell Hall West, Suite 1120
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- General VSU Information
- Phone: 229.333.5800
- Office of Communications
- Phone: 229.333.2163
- Phone: 229.333.5983