June 13, 2016
Communications and Media Relations Coordinator
Elizabeth Smithgall, Office of Communications, Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia
Valdosta State University Presidential Search Committee Named
Board of Regents Chairman Kessel Stelling and Chancellor Hank Huckaby have announced the formation of the two committees required by Regents’ policy to conduct a national search for the next president of Valdosta State University (VSU).
“I am grateful for the continued support of Valdosta State University stakeholders and their commitment to the institution, the University System, and the State of Georgia by serving on the presidential search committee,” said Stelling. “We have comprehensive representation from faculty, staff, alumni, students, the Foundation, the Valdosta community, and the Board of Regents on the search committees, and they play a role critical in the future of Valdosta State.”
The Regents’ Special Committee will be chaired by Regent Rusty Griffin and includes Regents Tommy Hopkins, Larry Ellis, Doreen Poitevint, Don Waters, and Chairman Stelling.
The search and screening of candidates is the responsibility of a 17-member, campus-based Presidential Search and Screen Committee, whose members also are appointed by Chancellor Huckaby and Chairman Stelling. Members of the committee are as follows:
- Bill Cowart, VSU alumnus and president, First State Bank and Trust, Valdosta
- Jesse Maranville, chairman, VSU Foundation Board of Trustees
- Colonel Jeff Hooks, president, VSU Alumni Board
- Paula Hutchinson, senior vice president, Stifel Financial Corporation
- Judge H. Arthur “Mac” McLane, retired, Southern Judicial Circuit
- Dr. Bonni Cohen, associate dean and assistant professor of nursing, VSU College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Dr. Peggy Moch, professor of mathematics education, VSU College of Arts and Sciences
- Michael Holt, assistant professor at VSU and reference librarian, VSU Odum Library
- Dr. Sonya Sanderson, associate professor of health and physical education, VSU College of Education
- Dr. Kenneth Stanley, professor emeritus of finance, VSU College of Business Administration
- Roy Copeland, assistant professor of management, VSU College of Business Administration
- H. Duke Guthrie, professor of theatre and dance, VSU College of the Arts
- Keith Warburg, assistant director of creative services and digital media services, VSU Digital Media Services and chair, VSU Council on Staff Affairs
- Brian Haugabrook, chief information officer, VSU
- Walter Peacock, development officer for university advancement, VSU
- Maya Mapp, student and president, VSU Student Government Association
- Colleen Kavanaugh, student and former vice president, VSU Student Government Association
Dr. Bonni Cohen will chair the campus-based committee, which will be charged with its responsibilities in a meeting scheduled for July 22 at Valdosta State. The search firm of Parker Executive Search of Atlanta has been engaged to assist the search committee.
At the conclusion of its work, the campus committee will forward for consideration to the Regents’ Special Committee the credentials of three to five unranked candidates.