October 8, 2014
Rebecca J. James, Graduate Assistant
Zeta Tau Alpha Goes Pink For Breast Cancer Awareness Month
VALDOSTA — The Eta Iota chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha at Valdosta State University is leading the way in raising funds and awareness in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Activities include the following:
• Zeta Tau Alpha has turned the West Hall fountain pink, and it will remain pink for the duration of the month.
• Zeta Tau Alpha held a bake sale today on the Pedestrian Mall. Students, faculty, and staff had the opportunity to visit the sorority’s philanthropy table to receive information on breast cancer and to fill out a pink ribbon in honor of someone who has suffered from breast cancer. The ribbons will be attached to a banner and displayed at Saturday’s football game with the slogan, “Who Do You Think Pink For?”
• The Zeta Tau Alpha philanthropy table will remain open for those who wish to learn more about breast cancer every Wednesday for the rest of the month.
• The 17th Annual Big Man On Campus male beauty pageant will run from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 9, in Mathis Auditorium. Participants will be rated on their introduction, onstage question, formal wear, and talent. Event T-shirts will be sold for $15, and a silent auction that includes items donated from local boutiques and restaurant gift certificates will take place during the pageant. Attendees are encouraged to come dressed in support of breast cancer awareness, and the audience member who is the most “pinked out” will receive a door prize. Admission is $5 at the door.
• Zeta Tau Alpha will “pink out” the football game against the University of West Georgia. The ladies will kick off the event with a tailgate from noon to 2 p.m. next to the University Center, and they will be selling “pink out” T-shirts for $15, passing out pink ribbons, and handing out information about breast cancer awareness.
Proceeds from Zeta Tau Alpha activities throughout the month of October will benefit breast cancer awareness and education initiatives.
In the past two years Zeta Tau Alpha members across the nation have collectively raised over $6 million and given out 19 million ribbons. Madison Beaumarchais, president of the Eta Iota chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha and a senior marketing major, and Elizabeth Farrell, vice president of the chapter and a junior public relations major, said that breast cancer awareness is very close to their hearts. One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer during their lifetime, so everyone either has been or will be affected by breast cancer.
Zeta Tau Alpha encourages women to sign up at http://www.takechargethinkpink.com to receive reminders about mammograms and self-check exams.
Follow Zeta Tau Alpha’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month activities on Instagram at @zta_vsu or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zeta-Tau-Alpha-at-Valdosta-State-University/129742870399549.
- Office of Communications Powell Hall West, Suite 1120
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- General VSU Information
- Phone: 229.333.5800
- Office of Communications
- Phone: 229.333.2163
- Phone: 229.333.5983