December 5, 2012
Communications and Media Relations Coordinator
Community, Regional, National Artists Wanted For DRAWPROJECT
VALDOSTA — Community, regional, and national artists have until Friday, Dec. 21, to enter DRAWPROJECT, an annual drawing invitational exhibition that raises funds for Valdosta State University Department of Art students.
Hosted by the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts and sponsored by Classic Art & Frame Co. and Guardian Bank, DRAWPROJECT benefits two scholarships.
The Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts Scholarship is awarded annually to support a VSU junior art, design, or art education major for meritorious production in the classroom and a commitment to service within the community. The Danielle B. Harmon Student Merit Scholarship recognizes departmental majors for superior classroom performance. Before her death in 2010, she was an instructor in VSU’s Department of Art.
“Our aim is to offer a variety of images and styles for all to see and buy,” according to information provided by Blake Pearce, department head. “This show is always fun due to the eclectic nature of the exhibit content and the variety of artists featured. Some artists have produced works each year for the exhibit; some have been featured fewer times or only once.”
DRAWPROJECT’s opening reception and auction will be held from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts, located at 527 N. Patterson St. The exhibit will remain on display through Wednesday, Feb. 20.
“Sales of artworks are through bids. All works begin with a minimum bid. If a bid reaches $200, the works are moved to an open auction near the conclusion of the reception. Works that do not sell at the opening reception may be purchased for the minimum bid price for the duration of the exhibit.”
In previous years, the minimum bid was $50.
DRAWPROJECT is the brainchild of Jamie Harmon, former curator of the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts.
Anyone interested in participating as an artist in the 2013 DRAWPROJECT, serving as a sponsor, or making a donation to support the Department of Art scholarships should call (229) 333-5835 or email Blake Pearce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Interpret the concept of “drawing” and create an original artwork to be donated for auction.
• Use any paper you like as long as it is 22 inches by 15 inches. Paper may be picked up in Room 107 of VSU’s Fine Arts Building or mailed to you.
• Pieces will be catalogued and listed on the DRAWPROJECT Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DrawProject.VSUArt.
• Drawings must include the artist’s name, photo, and web link or email; title of the piece and medium used; and a short artist biography and artist statement, 50 words or less each.
• Completed works should be delivered or shipped to the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts at 527 N. Patterson St., Valdosta, Ga., 31601, or Valdosta State University, 1500 N. Patterson St., Valdosta, Ga., 31698.• Each artist participating will receive a printed catalogue from the exhibit.
- Office of Communications Powell Hall West, Suite 1120
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- General VSU Information
- Phone: 229.333.5800
- Office of Communications
- Phone: 229.333.2163
- Phone: 229.333.5983