Freshmen Residency Requirement

First time, first year Freshmen are required to live on campus. (View Freshmen Residency Requirement for more information) Freshmen who desire to live off campus need to complete the Freshman Residency Exemption process. If you have already paid your deposit, you will also need to fulfill the Release of Contract process.

Under the following conditions, coupled with supporting documentation, we will exempt freshmen from the housing requirement:

  • Living with and commuting daily from the legal residence of a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent within a 50 mile driving distance from Valdosta State University (Parent Certificate- must be notarized and mailed in, there is a free Notary inside the Central Housing Office) PDF
  • Married- (Marriage License)
  • Single parent- (Child's Birth Certificate)
  • 20 years of age prior to September 1 of the academic year

All materials are due 30 days prior to the first day of classes of the term which the exemption is requested. You will receive a written reply from the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

If you continue as a VSU student and you have already applied for housing, you may not receive a deposit refund. If you are approved for one of the above reasons, you may or may not be subject to a 50% buy out of the remaining portion of the contract. If you are not attending VSU, then your refund depends on the following deadlines which occur before the start of the contract:

  • On or before April 1 - Full refund
  • April 2  to April 15 - $200 refund
  • April 16 to April 30 - $100 refund
  • After May 1 - No refund and a buyout will ensue until the 1st day of class.

If you do not fall in one of the above categories and still would like to petition to live off campus, you must still follow the Freshman Residency Exemption process and the Release from Contract process (if deposit is paid). By pursuing the alternative method, you are initially denied because you do not fit in our typical conditions described previously. Once you receive your denial via email, you may submit an appeal to the Appeals Committee which meets once a month.

The appeal basis must be that an important circumstance in a student's personal, medical, or financial situation does not allow compliance with the residency or contract requirements. Such circumstances must be accompanied by substantial documentation including, but not limited to: tax records, court orders, physician's notarized diagnosis and recommendation on letterhead, insurance claims, etc. All supporting documentation is due no later than 10 business days before the committee meets. More Appeal Committee Information

How to Apply

If you are a current student and applying for Spring 2015 follow these steps

1. Login to your Banner account from VSU homepage

  • The Banner link is an option under the Live @ VSTATE link pop-up menu
  • If you are having problems logging into your Banner account, contact the Registrar's Office at (229) 333-5727. If you have other questions or problems with Banner, click here or call the Help Desk at (229) 245-4357

2. Click Student and Financial Aid

3. Click Housing Contract Release/Freshmen Exemption(scroll down to the bottom of the page to submit the request

If you are a new student and applying for Spring 2015 or Fall 2015 follow these steps

1. Login to the Housing Portal using your active directory credentials.  If you have not set up your active directory credentials, please follow the Account Access Steps for New Users.

2. Once logged in, click the application link in the upper left.

3. Select the appropriate term and click save and continue.

4. Click the next button at the bottom of the page.

5. Click on the last step of the process - the Freshman Exemption step and complete the form.


In terms of The Office of Housing and Residence Life, we consider a freshman as someone who is about to attend or is currently in their first year of college (college courses during high school do not count).

VSU uses credit hours to determine class standing. However, the Office of Housing and Residence Life has more interest in the number of years you've been here. If you are a first time college student, you are considered a freshman. We refer to you as a first-time, first-year freshman.

Note: If you have already completed the application and paid the fees, you must also complete the Release from Contract step.